Pitching a LARGE starter...how to step?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewme

Reaction score
I have searched the forum for this answer, but can't quite find it. I read about pitching a 2 liter starter, but how do you get their? If I start with a 1/2 quart of water and 1/2 cup of DME (according to John Palmer), how much of each do I add from this point to get to 2 liters? Also, I have read to only step up twice or I will stress the yeast.

I just don't see how I get to such a large starter without more than 2 steps or adding too much DME and water.

I have searched the forum for this answer, but can't quite find it. I read about pitching a 2 liter starter, but how do you get their? If I start with a 1/2 quart of water and 1/2 cup of DME (according to John Palmer), how much of each do I add from this point to get to 2 liters? Also, I have read to only step up twice or I will stress the yeast.

I just don't see how I get to such a large starter without more than 2 steps or adding too much DME and water.

Unless you are farming up old yeast that has little viability, just dump that smack pack or vial directly into 2 liters of wort with a gravity of 1.030 to 1.040, and you'll be all set. You can throw a couple of hop pellets in there if you want, but that's not necessary (I do, because I like to drink the decanted starter beer to check for any signs of infection, and unhopped beer just tastes nasty).

ArcaneXor, thanks for the suggestion. For my next batch I will be buying new yeast and will use your suggestion of making a 2 liter wort, but in the future, I will want to step up b/c I will be using yeast I have harvested.

For a 2 liter starter, what is the formula for a 1.040 starter with water to DME?

Also, if I do need to step up, what is the amount to step up from a vile amount (10 ml?) to 2 liters for 2 steps?

For a 2 liter starter, what is the formula for a 1.040 starter with water to DME?

The easy rule of thumb for starter is 200g/2000ml (a mnemonic 1:10 ratio).

Also, if I do need to step up, what is the amount to step up from a vile amount (10 ml?) to 2 liters for 2 steps?

Lately I have been doing something like this, depending on how its acting:
* 5ml in vial / tube, innoculated from plate or slant
* 25ml in a 50ml flask in on a stirplate with tiny bar

from there it's easy to step up to 250ml and get moving faster. 500ml, 1000ml, 2000ml or whatever is needed.

I foilcap and pressurecook/sterilize all the flasks with the starter in them (smaller flasks/tubes) or use pint/quart canned starter (larger flasks).

Back