pale 2 row vs. american 2 row?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nanik006

Reaction score
ok, so i went and got supplies for brewing this weekend, and the LHBS didn't have pale 2 row, so i got american 2 row. using beer smith to figure how this will change my recipe .... american 2 row isn't an option in beersmith, is that because its the same as pale 2 row? if not, whats the diff?

I'm going to guess that if it didn't say Marris Otter or Import that it's going to be the domestic (American) 2 row. You can adjust the SRM numbers in Beersmith to make it more accurate for what you have.

Most likely they are similar. What you need to check is who the manufacturer of the "American 2-row" malt is, and then compare the stats for each. There's a distinct possibility that they're close enough that Beersmith's calc's will be the same, as Pale 2-row is probably a generic entry. Contact your LHBS to see who supplied it and who the manufacturer is. Heck, the LHBS may have the stats you need.

Cheers,

The American will have slightly less potential gravity (1.036) and will be maybe (2L) in color. The Pale will possibly be as high as (1.039) and might be a little darker (3L) maybe. Shouldn't change your recipe that much.

The Pale tastes a little better to me personally, but thats completely subjective I admit. And honestly I'm not sure anyone could tell the difference if shown a sample of the two, I really doubt anyone could tell one from the other more than 50% of the time.

Pale Malt can be made from American or English barley varieties, though the term is usually reserved for English Pale Ale Malt. Pale Malt typically has a Lovibond rating of 2.8 - 3.5 or so.

2-Row is a term usually reserved for American barley malt that is kilned to a Lovibond rating of 1.8 - 2.2 or so.

For example, Briess, an American maltster, makes both a Pale Ale malt and a 2-Row Brewers malt from American barley.

Ask your LHBS for details about what you bought.

Back