Combining turkey frying and brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking for someone to try this.

As per a discussion in chat. We were thinking how awesome combining turkey frying and brewing would be.

Take a turkey and boil it in your wort till cooked. Eat the turkey and ferment the wort.

Since the grease will be floating on top of the cooled wort you should be able to avoid transfering it to the carboy.

Now what's a good recipe idea for this? What style would work best for this?

i imagine the turkey would be pretty sweet, due to the sugar content of the wort.

as for the beer, your guess is as good as mine.

+1 EVAN. The turkey might taste good when you EAT it.

Who wants to drink a turkey?

For that matter why not boil a live pig in your wort you sick****?;)

I applaude experimentation, but dear god that sounds gross.

Doesn't beer make you sleepy enough without adding Tryptophan?

How about a Gobble Bock?

Not to mention that wort is not oil. I have never seen a recipe for a boiled turkey.

I have used beer to make sauces. Anything with more hops than budweiser ends up too bitter.

cheezydemon said:
I have used beer to make sauces. Anything with more hops than budweiser ends up too bitter.

Stouts seem to make some really nice sauces.

cheezydemon said:
+1 EVAN. The turkey might taste good when you EAT it.

Who wants to drink a turkey?

reading this thread, while eating turkey, i just laughed so hard i almost popped some turkey right through my nose.

:fro:

Evan! said:
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit...

Ahahahaha! I love that quote and I use it profusely.

But honestly I'm thinkin the turkey will taste amazing.... but the beer might end up as fertilizer.

Jones Soda makes a Turkey and Gravy soda, so why not a turkey beer? While I've never personally tried the soda, I heard that it's pretty gross, so turkey beer might be gross, but it's worth a shot. I've eaten turkey dipped in chocolate once - that was good, so, yeah, I'd try turkey beer (I'm too much of a noob to actually try brewing this tho).

riored4v said:
Stouts seem to make some really nice sauces.

Very true, but they are typically the lighter hopped ones that do well.

Guinness, with I believe a negative bitter rating, makes excellent stew.

cheezydemon said:
Not to mention that wort is not oil. I have never seen a recipe for a boiled turkey.

You haven't been reading enough English cookbooks then. ;)

I think that starting to cook it, or brining in wort and finishing it in the oven would have potential, you could get some awesome caramelization on the outside. I would never drink turkey beer other than on a dare though.

Laurel said:
You haven't been reading enough English cookbooks then. ;)

I think that starting to cook it, or brining in wort and finishing it in the oven would have potential, you could get some awesome caramelization on the outside. I would never drink turkey beer other than on a dare though.

I double dare you to brew it and triple dare you to drink it. :p

Isn't the Turkey fry oil boilng in the 350 - 400 degree range in order to sear the turkey and brown it? Just boiling a turkey in water or wort would result in a white water logged mushy turkey. Try boiling a turkey on your stove at 212 for probaby 2-5 hours to see if it cooks and then figure out how to make wort with that.

When I cook turkey on my smoker, it cooks at about 180 F for 1 hour per pound.

this reminds me back in high school when we made a 'Steak Shake' for economincs class....

...it was neat when we were stoned and made the first one, but when we did it for the class, we realized we should have been stoned then too, it tasted like ass

Denny's Evil Concoctions said:
Looking for someone to try this.

As per a discussion in chat. We were thinking how awesome combining turkey frying and brewing would be.

Take a turkey and boil it in your wort till cooked. Eat the turkey and ferment the wort.

Since the grease will be floating on top of the cooled wort you should be able to avoid transfering it to the carboy.

Now what's a good recipe idea for this? What style would work best for this?

In a word YUK!!!

That is just plain wrong..

I did this once and it was pretty darn good.

Next time though, I'm going to inject the bird with some vanilla extract and dissolved lactose and short cut my way to a certain recipe that's been floated around here for too long.

;)

You just know some one on here will try this. :D

true.... I still fully intent to put a box of fruity pebbles in a mash to try to clone sunset wheat.

Remind me of "Cock Ale"... chicken beer (from http://hbd.org/)

"Take 10 gallons of ale and a large cock, the older the better; parboil the cock, flay him, and stamp him in a stone mortar until his bones are broken (you must gut him when you flaw him). Then, put the cock into two quarts of sack, and put to it five pounds of raisins of the sun - stoned; some blades of mace, and a few cloves. Put all these into a canvas bag, and a little before you find the ale has been working, put the bag and ale together in vessel.

In a week or nine days bottle it up, fill the bottle just above the neck and give it the same time to ripen as other ale."

Hasn't anybody seen Willy Wonka! Come on now, the man is onto something (j/k). Anyways, Jones soda makes (made?) a Thanksgiving meal in a bottle. (n/k).

turkeygravey.jpg

missing link said:
Isn't the Turkey fry oil boilng in the 350 - 400 degree range in order to sear the turkey and brown it? Just boiling a turkey in water or wort would result in a white water logged mushy turkey. Try boiling a turkey on your stove at 212 for probaby 2-5 hours to see if it cooks and then figure out how to make wort with that.

When I cook turkey on my smoker, it cooks at about 180 F for 1 hour per pound.

Well a candy thermometer goes over 212F, since a sugar water solution (wort...?) boils at more than 212F.

Bert said:
Remind me of "Cock Ale"... chicken beer (from http://hbd.org/)

"Take 10 gallons of ale and a large cock, the older the better; parboil the cock, flay him, and stamp him in a stone mortar until his bones are broken (you must gut him when you flaw him). Then, put the cock into two quarts of sack, and put to it five pounds of raisins of the sun - stoned; some blades of mace, and a few cloves. Put all these into a canvas bag, and a little before you find the ale has been working, put the bag and ale together in vessel.

In a week or nine days bottle it up, fill the bottle just above the neck and give it the same time to ripen as other ale."

actually i know a guy who made a variant on the cock ale that came out ok. he used various pieces of chicken meat rather than a whole bird, which he cooked slightly to avoid infection and dry-spiced/hopped/meat-ed a base scotch ale. the bottle i had was good but others said theirs tasted funny, so maybe there were some qa/qc problems, but this turkey thing might be worth a go. what's the worst that happens?

Ahh.. a turkey beer chaser after a bacon vodka shot...

Oooooh. How about a bacon vodka turkey beer bomb? A BVT bomb. :)

Now you're talking sponsorship, baby!! Butterball and Smirnoff present, a Fear Factor special starring the cast of Jackass . . .

cheezydemon said:

Well you wouldn't want to boil a live pig because the thrashing and squealing would knock the boiler over, that's why!:rolleyes: Instead, I'd just cut it's throat and drain it over the wort to make my own special brand of 'red ale'.

98EXL said:
this reminds me back in high school when we made a 'Steak Shake' for economincs class....

...it was neat when we were stoned and made the first one, but when we did it for the class, we realized we should have been stoned then too, it tasted like ass

Should we inquire as to how you know what ass tastes like? :eek: JK

-JMW

EvilTOJ said:
Well you wouldn't want to boil a live pig because the thrashing and squealing would knock the boiler over, that's why!:rolleyes: Instead, I'd just cut it's throat and drain it over the wort to make my own special brand of 'red ale'.

Well, I suppose the blood might ferment somewhat, but I think that is a whole other thread.

Well, I'm not willing to make the turkey beer, but I might try making a beer turkey. I'd imagine that brining in a strong extract syrup/chicken stock/coriander/orange peel mixture for 24 hours and then basting with said mixture would make a killer bird to go with a bottle of Belgian Wit.

No hop stuffing?
Great Idea! My childhood best friend's father grows his own hops. Maybe I could go by his house next time I visit my mother and steal some! Or make good friends with him, bring him an assorted 6 pack and get some hops for an IPA.

Latest posts

Back