WLP 500 - temperatures?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayfro21

Reaction score
I am fermenting a belgian ale right now using the WLP 500, and I pitched around 65 F. I have read that it is good to pitch around 65 and let it rise on its own, but I am worried that it might raise the temp too much. My ambient temp in my house is only like 68F, but from the heat of fermentation, the fermometer is registering around 72 F right now. Should I use a water bath to help control the temp, or do I want to let it rise as much as it does on its own? Any help would be great!

Jason

http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/homebrew_strains.html

The link above has a blurb about each of their yeasts.

WLP500 Trappist Ale Yeast
From one of the few remaining Trappist breweries remaining in the world, this yeast produces the distinctive fruitiness and plum characteristics. Excellent yeast for high gravity beers, Belgian ales, dubbels and trippels.
Attenuation: 75-80%
Flocculation: Medium to low
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 65-72°F
Lower temperatures (under 65) will result in less fruity and more earthy beers.
Alcohol Tolerance: High

egolla said:
http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/homebrew_strains.html

The link above has a blurb about each of their yeasts.

WLP500 Trappist Ale Yeast
From one of the few remaining Trappist breweries remaining in the world, this yeast produces the distinctive fruitiness and plum characteristics. Excellent yeast for high gravity beers, Belgian ales, dubbels and trippels.
Attenuation: 75-80%
Flocculation: Medium to low
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 65-72°F
Lower temperatures (under 65) will result in less fruity and more earthy beers.
Alcohol Tolerance: High

Yeah, I checked that out already, just wondering what others have done while using the yeast.

Some folks like to start cooler at 65 or so, then steadily raise the temp to the low 70's. This allows for a gradual development of esters and phenolics desired in the style, but not overpoweringly so, or damaging to the overall product. You'll be fine at 68 though.

I am on my third brew using this yeast. My first one (a dubbel) got up to 74 degrees when my ambient was stuck at 65! It has a lot of bubblegum in it right now, but I can tell it's going away slowly but surely.

The two that are fermenting right now are turning out much better and more mellow. I have been keeping them around 68, plus I think I had a better pitching rate since I was reusing the cake.

I think the key is a huge starter to keep the bubblegum at bay.

Either way, I'd keep it at 70 max for my personal preferences. What are you making, anyway?

PseudoChef said:
I am on my third brew using this yeast. My first one (a dubbel) got up to 74 degrees when my ambient was stuck at 65! It has a lot of bubblegum in it right now, but I can tell it's going away slowly but surely.

The two that are fermenting right now are turning out much better and more mellow. I have been keeping them around 68, plus I think I had a better pitching rate since I was reusing the cake.

I think the key is a huge starter to keep the bubblegum at bay.

Either way, I'd keep it at 70 max for my personal preferences. What are you making, anyway?

Hey thanks! Here is the thread with the recipe:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=57929

I made a 1/2 gallon started, so hopefully that was big enough. This is my first stab at a belgian and a yeast starter, so we'll see how it goes. It cooled a little over night, but I think it will prob end up fermenting around 74 F, so I'll let you know about that bubblegum flavor. I plan on washing the yeast, so I can compare to another batch in the future.

Jason

Back