Fuggles Vs. EKG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrooZer

Reaction score
Im looking into making a couple batches next week. One of them being an oatmeal stout.

What is better for bittering, Fuggles or EKG?

I prefer EKG myself. But with the cost of both of those hops, I personally wouldn't be 'wasting' them in a strictly bittering capacity - especially in a stout.

Consider using a fairly neutral (and less expensive) bittering hop (galena is excellent) when you're not going to be getting any of the flavour and/or aroma properties from the hops. Save the expensive stuff for flavouring and aroma where it really counts.

bradsul said:
I prefer EKG myself. But with the cost of both of those hops, I personally wouldn't be 'wasting' them in a strictly bittering capacity - especially in a stout.

Consider using a fairly neutral (and less expensive) bittering hop (galena is excellent) when you're not going to be getting any of the flavour and/or aroma properties from the hops. Save the expensive stuff for flavouring and aroma where it really counts.

Great Point! I am shooting for 30 IBU on a 6 gallon boil. The OG is 1.055. What should I get then?

I like galena personally, it's got a fairly neutral flavour. Any high alpha acid hops you can get will work though. You won't need much of them either which is nice.

Target is my favourite, if you can find it. Galena works quite well also! In any case, I'd avoid the powerfully-flavored high-alpha types. Grapefruit stout? :drunk:

bradsul said:

Good idea. I just tossed an ounce of EKG in my stout, but if Galena will bitter just as well, that's what I might try next time.

Beerlord said:
I just used Warrior in a stout, only needed an ounce, they were 16.4%. came out pretty good.

Is warrior a nuetral flavor?

I lean towards Fuggles. If you can get it Northern Brewer or Brewer's Gold are both excellent for Stout. That all being said, I completely agree with Bradsul, in fact I will quite often use any high Alpha in the bittering addition because I honestly think that flavorwise it makes a minimal difference. You'd really have to have one heck of a discerning palate to pull out specific bittering additions. You might know there is something different, but would be really hard pressed to put your finger on it.

Back