Muad Dib Spice Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uwjester

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I guess its about time to try my own recipe, so here goes. I'm still on extract until I can get some time to research and build some all-grain equipment.

1# Caramunich Malt
1# Vienna Malt
5# Amber LME
2# Extra Pale LME

1oz Williamette Hops at 60min
.5oz Tetnaner Hops at 15min

1tsp allspice
.5tsp nutmeg
.5tsp ground cinnamon
2oz (real) vanilla extract

White Labs WLP001 California Ale Yeast

I'm not too sure about the spice concentrations. I want them to dominate the beer without them being too overpowering. I kind of think I am starting too low here, but I will have the opportunity to add spice at bottling if I make some spice extract while the wort is fermenting. If I get this started soon, it should be ready for Christmas.

Let me know if this turns your eyes Fremen blue...

two ounces of vanilla is more flavor than you think it is. I would start around half that much and increase to taste. When you think you need just a little bit more. you're done.

edit: I would do the spices minus vanilla during secondary and the vanilla at bottling.

The spice extends life, the spice expands consciousness, the spice is vital to space travel.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains. The stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

two ounces of vanilla is more flavor than you think it is. I would start around half that much and increase to taste. When you think you need just a little bit more. you're done.

edit: I would do the spices minus vanilla during secondary and the vanilla at bottling.

Thanks for the suggestions, I might cut the vanilla back even more. I want it to be a hint of vanilla with the other spices, especially the allspice, being the dominant flavor. I had thought about doing all of the spice in the secondary so I don't lose as much to trub, but I was worried about getting a good distribution that way. Will 2 weeks in the carboy be sufficient to distribute the flavor without a good stir/boil?

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains. The stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Mad mentat? Suddenly things make more sense.

Make sure to bottle it in Cobalt bottles.
That is one hell of a good idea. Unfortunately, no one I drink with would get the references so all the effort would be wasted. I still might do it though.

Ah, you beat me to the 'Spiced Beer' recipe. :off: I just finished the newest Dune book, Hunters of Dune.

Back on topic, good luck with the recipe. Hope it turns out as well as it's namesake.

The spice must flow.

It appears I have an additional mission this weekend besides brewing and attending Halloween parties. The search is on for this new literary compilation.

Maybe a Navigator somewhere can help me locate this? No matter how much spiced beer I drink, I just can't seem to figure out how to tell the future myself.

Will it give the drinker prescience? I think "Golden Path Ale" would be a good name for any blond beer. How good is the Dune series, I think I've read it 3 times and will probaly read it through again soon. Its my favorite series of all time.

How about cardamom or chicory? Doesn't the book/s specifically reference one of these spices as part of the smell or taste of the spice?

landhoney said:
Will it give the drinker prescience? I think "Golden Path Ale" would be a good name for any blond beer. How good is the Dune series, I think I've read it 3 times and will probaly read it through again soon. Its my favorite series of all time.

How about cardamom or chicory? Doesn't the book/s specifically reference one of these spices as part of the smell or taste of the spice?

How about Leto Lager or Duncan's Irish Stout?

I hadn't thought of cardamom or chicory. I don't think I've ever cooked with those spices before. Maybe I'll stop by the store and have a look. Thanks for the idea.

pict-1000-buegel-easy.jpg

Blue bottles from the fremen tribe.

I stopped by the LHBS and they were out of cobalt bottles. He said he'd probably be able to get some in a couple of weeks. That's right at bottling time, but I'm hopeful that I can get some.

Nice. Now you just need a suitable label, perhaps something with a 'thopter?

Hart's homebrew in Orlando has cobalt bottles, I almost bought some this week but figured that I needed that bench capper and more hops.

But, I did buy four one-pint bottles of St Peters Porter at the ABC store at $1.89 each just because of the flask shaped beer bottles. yeah, it's probably been around since last Christmas, nice and, well, old

Speaking of Sci-fi; I made a Bender IPA, and plan on making a mead with kiwi so I can have Slurm - speakin' of that, what happens if you add food coloring to beer and mead? I personally don't like the idea, and consider it distastefull, but if the kiwi isn't green enough, well, the meatbags will never know...........

The Sleeper has awakened.

12500-spice-beer.jpg

I got tired of waiting for LHBS to get the cobalt bottles in, plus I got all of this kegging equipment I've been anxious to try out, so I racked the Muad Dib Spice Ale to a corny keg tonight. Of course I went ahead and had a glass to test it. I gotta say, I hit exactly what I was shooting for with this recipe. The spices dominate the flavor with out being overpowering and there is a slightly malty base that holds it all together.

Some details. The OSG was 1.054 and it bottomed out at 1.012 so I am looking at about 5.5% ABV. I'm going to carb this bad boy at about 11 psi and I am shooting for 2.5 Volumes CO2.

By the way... I've been dying to shop that picture since I had the Spice Ale idea. :)

Back