Heartburn Every Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mforsman

Reaction score
Hey All,

I hope you can shed some light on this trouble. I have a very delicious Black IPA kegged up (I think it's NB's recipe) but after even half of a pint I start to feel the heartburn or something like it. I've had it after other beers, early, after eating, empty stomach, but no matter what it's always the same feeling. The only thing I changed was the dry hopping. I racked after the first dry hop and it needed a bit more hop character so I dry hopped with another ounce for 5 days.

US 2-Row Malt 11.50 lb 83.6 % 3.9 In Mash/Steeped
US Caramel 80L Malt 0.50 lb 3.6 % 7.6 In Mash/Steeped
German Carafa III 0.38 lb 2.7 % 37.3 In Mash/Steeped
UK Chocolate Malt 0.38 lb 2.7 % 32.0 In Mash/Steeped
Sugar - Corn Sugar/Dextrose (Dry) 1.00 lb 7.3 % 0.0 End Of Boil

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount IBU Form When
US Summit 17.6 % 1.00 oz 65.2 Loose Pellet Hops All Of Boil
US Chinook 11.1 % 1.00 oz 20.4 Loose Pellet Hops 15 Min From End
US Centennial 9.7 % 1.00 oz 13.0 Loose Pellet Hops 10 Min From End
US Cascade 6.2 % 1.00 oz 4.6 Loose Pellet Hops 5 Min From End
US Centennial 9.7 % 1.00 oz 0.0 Loose Pellet Hops At turn off
US Cascade 6.2 % 1.00 oz 0.0 Loose Pellet Hops Dry-Hopped 5 days
US Cascade 6.2 % 1.00 oz 0.0 Loose Pellet Hops Dry-Hopped Another 5 days

Yeast US-05, fermented around 60˚F

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks,
MDF

Not sure, I don't have test strips handy (should have though of that while I was at the brew store)

Is there any reason the recipe would produce a higher pH?

I don't get heartburn, and US-05 is my go-to yeast (always fermented at 68*)

I recently kegged a batch of a Heady clone that I fermented at 62* and the heartburn I get the day after is crazy. I wonder if that could possibly come into play at all.

Wondering if you ever made a connection was to what is the cause? I have a basic IPA in a keg that is about half empty...I think I am going to dump it because it physical hurts to drink it...the heart burn and gas is so very bad

Not sure to be honest, I brewed another batch but haven't been in the mood to try a bottle (they just finished carb'ing). If the same thing occurs I will post updates of my process and more detailed info. I also plan on picking up some PH strips so I can see where everything really is at.

Back