Used wine presses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean from New Hampshire

Reaction score
I'm about to work out a deal with a guy for a table top press he has been using to press a very tart berry. Its called shizandra berry. Just wondering if its a good idea to go used on these things?

Sean

Sean from New Hampshire said:
I'm about to work out a deal with a guy for a table top press he has been using to press a very tart berry. Its called shizandra berry. Just wondering if its a good idea to go used on these things?

Sean

As long as it's in good working order it shouldn't really matter if it's new or used. I'm not an expert on presses but it's just another mechanical device. Check to make sure it has good threading and is functional.

You might want to figure out if he upgraded to a larger press, or just wants to get rid of one that's not working good.

I was just worried about cross flavoring, since hes been using it with a rather tart berry.

Sean

If it's a stainless steel one, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. If it's wood I really doubt you need to worry either since there would be very little transfer of taste during the time your juice is in contact with the wood.

Absolute worst case is that you would need to replace the wood basket... Maybe you should use this worry to help talk down the price. ;)

Hehehe good thinking. He is a client of my family business, some we might work something non-monetary out. Though I over heard him talking with my boss and he mentioned mead making, and he doesn't know I home brew. I'm thinking of renting out one of my carboy's for his mead in payment ;-)

Sean

Hehehe good thinking. He is a client of my family business, some we might work something non-monetary out. Though I over heard him talking with my boss and he mentioned mead making, and he doesn't know I home brew. I'm thinking of renting out one of my carboy's for his mead in payment ;-)

Sean

So did you ever get this press and by Boss do you mean Dad? ;)

Back