BIAB to 3 Vessel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried it a few times before I built up my single tier and after I already had in place a three tier with a cooler mlt. I could never get past 50% efficiency with BIAB. I know others do but I could not. I wish it would have worked for me as I could have save a bunch on equipment and footprint for brewing.

I started out doing smaller batches with BIAB = 2 - 2.5 gallons. Switched to 2 vessel when I wanted to go bigger because I had the stuff available. Lifting a wet grainbag for a 10 gallon batch would not be fun - only reason I can think of right now.

Hey lonetexan. I am currently doing BIAB in a 44qt Bayou Classic kettle and recently purchased a 82qt Bayou Classic kettle. With this larger kettle I will be switching eBIAB, which will be used as the HLT down the road on a Kal 3v Electric Brewery build. I am looking to switch to the 3v build, just to play with the idea of possibly doing more then just homebrewing one day. If I didn't have that thought in my mind I would just stick to BIAB or eBIAB. I have made 20+ batches with BIAB and have had no problems with a single kettle system. My brewhouse efficiency is 77%. Are you thinking of switching?

Are you thinking of switching?

The thought had occurred to me. I have been running in the 80-83% efficiency range into the kettle, so I don't know if that would be a factor. SWMBO would probably be against adding more equip so that IS a factor.:(

Thinking of moving to 10 gal batches, my kettle is just barely big enough and worried about losing eff w/that much grain as well.

I don't know if you've looked into eBIAB setup's, but that is where I am moving to. Can be done indoors (as there is no open flame), brew your beer at a fraction of the costs (electricity vs propane), and you can be constant and efficient of mashing temps (PID controlled heating element). It is a little bit in start up costs, but I believe it is well worth it and pays off in the amount in gas you'd spend. To maintain and possibly increase my efficiency I am planning on constantly recirculating the mash with a pump. I am going to be posting my build with pictures here in the next few weeks, keep an eye out for it if you're interested in going electric.

Back