herms coil help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrPhilGood

Reaction score
Hey guys so I bought a 50ft 1/2 inch SS coil from stainless brewing. Its diameter is 12". I also have two 90 degree swage lok fittings connected to bulkheads. I'm trying to set everything up and it seems that the angle of the swage lok is too close to the Keggle wall. The angle of my coil and fitting does not look as smooth as some of the projects I've seen on here. Any advice on the best direction I could go with this would be appreciated.

ForumRunner_20120622_214040.jpg

ForumRunner_20120622_214025.jpg

A couple of options that I can think of and maybe someone else has another suggestion are:

1. Install a 45 degree swaglok
2. Add a nipple and coupler to extend your current swaglok further into the keg.

Thanks. I tried #2 earlier but it seems its not the angle of the swagelok more so the end of the coil. I need to bend the end of the coil in just a tad to line it up into the compression piece. Thing is working it with my hands i seem to bend the whole top of the coil and not just the last few inches on the end. Anyone have a suggestion for a technique to make an small bend within a few inches of the end of the coil without kinking? thanks again

I had a similar problem. I wound up putting a barb on the inside of the kettle and running silicone tubing to the coil. Not pretty but it works. I see a lot of installs that don't have that problem.. not sure how people make it fit right. Would live to know as well.

I don't recommend trying to bend the coil.. I did that and have a small kink.. it doesn;t affect the functionality but is a blemish.

Thanks for the replies. Got it to work by attaching the swage lok first then tightening the bulkhead from the outside. I was having tunnel vision and a friend suggested that.

Back