Gravity Readings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GABrewboy

Reaction score
Okay, this is a very stupid question I am sure. But I brewed my second batch yesterday, a nice Anchor Christmas clone with a little of my own spices as well. My first batch I forgot to read the gravity. So yesterday I remembered to read the gravity and OG came out at 1.05. My question is this though: How much do you fill the tube with wort to read the gravity? I mean do you fill it half full, 3/4 full or what? Because it seems to me that the more or less you fill it obviously the readings would change. So not really sure if my gravity is correct or not as I filled the reading tube about half full, then took the reading.

The amount shouldn't matter that much. You need enough to float the hydrometer. You also need to check the temp so you can adjust the reading.

Thanks so much!! The temp was 68, I checked the reading just before pitching my yeast. So I assume at 68, my gravity reading is pretty much the same correct? No adjustments for this temp?

Very good!!!! So is that a pretty good reading then for the style I am brewing here? The receipe says that the original should be at 1.045

Thanks again!!!

GABrewboy said:
Very good!!!! So is that a pretty good reading then for the style I am brewing here? The receipe says that the original should be at 1.045

Thanks again!!!

You're fine. How much wort did you wind up with in your fermenter and what did the recipe call for (5g, 5.5g, etc)? When you're in the enviable position of having a slightly higher than expected OG you can either leave it and have a higher abv, or you can dilute with water to the target OG and have more beer.

GABrewboy said:
Okay, this is a very stupid question I am sure. But I brewed my second batch yesterday, a nice Anchor Christmas clone with a little of my own spices as well. My first batch I forgot to read the gravity. So yesterday I remembered to read the gravity and OG came out at 1.05. My question is this though: How much do you fill the tube with wort to read the gravity? I mean do you fill it half full, 3/4 full or what? Because it seems to me that the more or less you fill it obviously the readings would change. So not really sure if my gravity is correct or not as I filled the reading tube about half full, then took the reading.
I just bottled an Anchor Christmas Clone myself. Did you get the recipe out of the "beer captured" book? Mine tasted pretty good out of the secondary, but I wish I hadn't have added quite so much Anise. I opened one last night after only three days bottled and it didn't really have any head yet. I've got to be more patient!

This was based on a 5 gallon wort!!! I hope it won't be to bitter though. I steeped in 3 gallons of water even though it calls for only steeping in 2 gallons...... :drunk:

BillyBrew, I actually got my receipe out of the brewers bible!!! Mine didn't call for Anise. My spices were: Molases, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, 4 oranges peeled and ginger. The wort smelled super tasty!!!!

Back