How to carbonate keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stellarstar

Reaction score
Hello all I am a new brewer and am about to transfer beer in to keg. Should I siphon it so I don't get the sediment? And what pressure to I fill keg with gas and how long? Thanks

Transfer (rack) your beer into your keg using a siphon. You will get some sediment which typically comes out with your first pour. Seal your keg (put the top on). Hit the keg with 30psi of pressure to make sure everything is sealed. Purge the head space which is just keeping the pressure at 30psi and pulling the release valve a few times for 2-3 seconds each time. Put it in the kegerator. Keep the keg at 30psi for 36 hours. Then reduce to serving pressure (8-12psi). It will be carbonated within 2-3 days after that.

Keep the keg at 30psi for 36 hours. Then reduce to serving pressure (8-12psi). It will be carbonated within 2-3 days after that.

Personally, I think that isn't the best advice. Yes it will work, however if you use the 'set and forget' method you're guaranteed to have carbonated beer with minimal foaming issues. Set the keg to serving pressure and walk away for a couple weeks. Then you won't be posting here about how all you're getting is foam.

Personally, I think that isn't the best advice. Yes it will work, however if you use the 'set and forget' method you're guaranteed to have carbonated beer with minimal foaming issues. Set the keg to serving pressure and walk away for a couple weeks. Then you won't be posting here about how all you're getting is foam.

True, for a newbie, set and forget it typically 100%. But I can't wait that long. If I start this on Tuesday - by the weekend I am drinking the beer. And actually I usually go 48 hours at 30psi. That starts to get into danger zone but I am good about not forgetting about it.

Transfer (rack) your beer into your keg using a siphon. You will get some sediment which typically comes out with your first pour. Seal your keg (put the top on). Hit the keg with 30psi of pressure to make sure everything is sealed. Purge the head space which is just keeping the pressure at 30psi and pulling the release valve a few times for 2-3 seconds each time. Put it in the kegerator. Keep the keg at 30psi for 36 hours. Then reduce to serving pressure (8-12psi). It will be carbonated within 2-3 days after that.

This works perfect everytime for me

is that the PSI recommended for Serving (at listed temp) or for carbonating ?

I'm about to keg my first batch and have tons of questions - although I'm slowly figuring it out :mug:

That is the pressure the keg needs to be at to maintain the CO2 volume. If you need 25 psi for your desired carb level and turn it down to 10, the carbonation level will drop and it will go flat. You need to maintain the pressure for the desired CO2 volume and balance that pressure with hose length/diameter to get the right pour at that pressure.

Hi - I have an American Amber in primary, that will be my first ever going to keg in 2 weeks. Can you help me not mess up the initial carbonation, as I will be eager to get it right out of the gate.
If I were to rack to the keg, and chill to say 40 degrees in a keezer, it appears that leaving it between 9-13psi of co2 would be great over the long-term.
However, if I wanted to either force carbonate it (by rocking it back and forth) under 30psi - would I then set it to 9-13psi after I hear the regular stop pushing new co2?
OR, if I wanted to leave it overnight under pressure instead of rocking it, what would I set it at for the overnight absorption (still 30psi?), and what afterward for serving (still 9-13psi)?

I'm pretty close to understanding this, and know there isn't a perfect science - but am getting a little hung up on the initial carbonation.

Hi - I have an American Amber in primary, that will be my first ever going to keg in 2 weeks. Can you help me not mess up the initial carbonation, as I will be eager to get it right out of the gate.
If I were to rack to the keg, and chill to say 40 degrees in a keezer, it appears that leaving it between 9-13psi of co2 would be great over the long-term.
However, if I wanted to either force carbonate it (by rocking it back and forth) under 30psi - would I then set it to 9-13psi after I hear the regular stop pushing new co2?
OR, if I wanted to leave it overnight under pressure instead of rocking it, what would I set it at for the overnight absorption (still 30psi?), and what afterward for serving (still 9-13psi)?

I'm pretty close to understanding this, and know there isn't a perfect science - but am getting a little hung up on the initial carbonation.

don't feel bad. I am a couple weeks away from kegging my first batch and I am completely lost.

The confusing/frustrating thing is that it takes up to a couple of days for it to equalize. You can speed it up by shaking and rocking, but there is no way to tell how much it is speeding things up. The foolproof way is to get the pressure off of the chart for your temp and desired volume of CO2, set it there and wait. Doing the high pressure with or without shaking can result in overcarbonation, in which case you drop your pressure and wait for it to come back down.

Am starting to learn, with almost everything to do with beer you must wait for it to come out great.

This had a pretty useful chart, doesn't completely answer the question but does help. I find it a bit weird that the OP of the chart is advocating going straight to keg without any conditioning, and what would happen to all the trub?
It does seem like you can turbo it for 24 hours, remove the head pressure, then drop to your normal pressure for ongoing usage.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/keg-force-carbing-methods-illustrated-73328/

Back