Natural carbonation in keg...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcrderrick

Reaction score
Me and my fiancé are getting married in the end of may. I'm brewing all the beer for our wedding. I'm brewing a bourbon vanilla porter(10gal), cream of three crops(10gal), red ipa(10gal), Irish red ale(5gal), and a blueberry wheat(5gal). Can I natural carb the beers in corny kegs? And if so do I use the same amount of sugar as I would if bottling? And will it be fine in a corny keg for almost five months?

Thanks

Me and my fiancé are getting married in the end of may.
Congrats :tank:

Can I natural carb the beers in corny kegs?
Yes, but you may need to give the keg an initial blast of CO2 to seat the seals, otherwise all the CO2 built up from the priming sugar will all leak out.

And if so do I use the same amount of sugar as I would if bottling?
No, I think it's around 3 oz, instead of 5 oz for 5 gallons. You may want to do a quick search to be certain. You do want to use less priming sugar, as the amount for bottling would over carbonate it.

And will it be fine in a corny keg for almost five months?
Yes, and depending on the recipe, years.

Billy do you prefer to naturally carb with sugar or do you use multiple methods depending on certain situations?

My pipeline is large enough that I always naturally Carb in the kegs.

I use 1/2 cup of dextrose mixed with about two cups of water and add it to the keg just before I rack

As said before also...you want to hit it with 20-30 PSI two or three times to make sure the lid is sealed and to burp out any oxygen that might be trapped in the head space.

BTW...Congrats to the OP!

I would like to tell you that I prefer one method over the other, but I can't. I have only naturally carbed my kegs and used a 12 gram cartridge to serve.
It is easy to do and it keeps me from drinking my beer young as it takes a solid 2 weeks to Carb and condition.

So after I hit it a couple times with the co2 and purge the oxygen out do I bleed out all the co2 I put in?
Thanks

bcrderrick said:
So after I hit it a couple times with the co2 and purge the oxygen out do I bleed out all the co2 I put in?
Thanks

In my experience...it doesn't matter.

I have bled it off and left it in...same results either way...

...one thing I have always done is, once I move it into the keezer, I bleed off the co2 in the keg before hooking up to the gas at 12 psi. After about 24 hours to cool down, my Carb is perfect every time.

P.S...I use 10 ft of 3/8 id beer line on each keg

In my experience...it doesn't matter.

I have bled it off and left it in...same results either way...

...one thing I have always done is, once I move it into the keezer, I bleed off the co2 in the keg before hooking up to the gas at 12 psi. After about 24 hours to cool down, my Carb is perfect every time.

P.S...I use 10 ft of 3/8 id beer line on each keg

3/8??? or did you mean 3/16? 3/16 is the "standard" size everyone uses. 3/8 is huuuge compared to 3/16. Just trying to clarify things before someone goes out and buys 10 feet of 3/8 inch tubing and complains about foam everywhere :mug:

beninan said:
3/8??? or did you mean 3/16? 3/16 is the "standard" size everyone uses. 3/8 is huuuge compared to 3/16. Just trying to clarify things before someone goes out and buys 10 feet of 3/8 inch tubing and complains about foam everywhere :mug:

D'oh...you are correct, I meant 3/16 in. Beer line

Back