6 Gal. High Gravity Extract, Time From Kettle to Glass? Hop Tips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimW

Reaction score
My First Post! I've been lurking and love this forum, you guys are great!

I'm wondering how long this (ahem, cough) "recipe" should take from kettle to glass. Haven't got a pipeline going yet so I'm hoping for 5 weeks.

I can only do extract brews as I live in a tiny little guest house that doesn't even have a stove, but I do have an induction hot plate that works surprisingly well.

I make 6 gallon batches in 7.9 gal. buckets, aerate with pure oxygen, ferment for a month, cold crash, gelatin and force carb. Tap a Drafts, ugh. 6 gals. fills 4 bottles nicely.

So, here's what I'm thinking...

Again, this is for 6 gallons.

- 6 lbs Briess Light Pilsen LME
- 3 lbs Briess Light Pilsen DME
- 2 lbs Minnesota Clover Honey
- 2 oz Cascade Pellet Hops
- 1 oz US Tettang Pellet Hops
- 2 packs re-hydrated US-05

- 3.5 gals water in the kettle, add DME while heating up.
- When almost boiling, remove from heat and add LME, hops and irish moss.
- Boil for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add honey.
- Cool in an ice bath (with Star San). I dream of a Therminator :(
- Strain into bucket and top off to 6 gals.
- 60 seconds pure oxygen .5 micron stone.
- Pitch yeast and don't touch it for a month.
- Cold crash in fridge for 24 hrs, rack to carboy, add gelatin, then back in fridge for 3-4 days or until clear.
- Rack to 4 Tap-A-Draft bottles (the old blue bottle dual 8 grammers) and force carb for a couple of days.

I have no idea about hops so I just picked a couple that sounded good, shooting for 10-14 IBU or so.

Beer Calc says:
OG: 1.069
FG: 1.015
IBU: 10.9
SRM: 3
ABV: 7.2%

I welcome any suggestions and comments.

Thanks!

Jim

Interesting not boiling for 60 mins. Not going to be much hop utilization going on with only a 10min boil. I'll let mine sit in the primary for at least three weeks (although my Hefe's only get two in the primary and then straight to the bottle providing the FG is where it needs to be) take a gravity reading and into the secondary they go for at least two weeks more of conditioning.

Yeah,those late hop additions would be for flavor. You need some bittering additions. You need a 60 minute boil to do that. I'd use half the DME for the boil. Late extract additions will keep colors lighter,flavors cleaner.

Back