Kegerator lost power :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cacaman

Reaction score
My brother was trying out my beers in my keezer 4 days ago. The next day he reported the beer wasn't cold enough, but I just ignored the comment thinking it was his ignorance. This morning when I went outside, my keezer was marking at 85 degrees F, and I'm guessing it been this way for 3 days or so. I opened the temp controller and played with the wires and got it back up.

My question now is, will my beer go bad being this hot for so long? If not, can it pick up some bad new flavors?

Get them chilled back down and give one a try. While they're chilling down get some more batches in the pipeline. It's the only way to be safe. :mug:

I have no real answer. I've never let any home brew or commercial brew get that warm. Hopefully it's no big deal.

Wait, i misread your post.

Gradually heated beer is toxic unless you have the proper certifications. I just so happen to have said certifications. Send it to me and i'll take care of it for you. I'll even send the keg back after i've, uh, decontaminated it.

Have you tried drinking it? I think that this would be the easiest way to see if the beer has gone bad or if there are any off flavors. Ultimately, I think that you will more than likely be fine but the only way to tell would be to pour yourself a glass.

It should be fine if it never went over 100* you might have off flavor, but it shouldn't be skunked since its not in glass exposed to the sun.

Thanks for the answers! Reason why I ask is because a long time ago one of my friends told me to buy him a case of beer, but to get it room temp since he was going to drink it the next day, and had no room left in his fridge. When I asked him why, he told me that beer gets skunky after being exposed to hot temperatures then rechilling... Of course he was speaking of commercial low calorie rice beer :D

We'll see how it goes, just send back the kegs in one piece zixxor ;)

Tell ya what Cacaman, i'll even come pick them up from you. I don't want a fellow brewer to go through any hassle. Don't worry, i'll handle them with the care that i handle my own children (which are two golden retrievers, so...not really that much care :) ) I'm constantly wr'aslin with them and flinging them into the pool!

I had the same thing happen to me about a month ago. The inside of my kegerator was at 90* for about 36 hrs. The beer tasted exactly the same as before the temp increase, after I chilled it back down.

Back