Deep South USA Brewing help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drmojo

Reaction score
I want to get a secondary, to have two batches going at once, and I'd like to try mead making, something I wanted to try since before I ever tried beer...

But I've had problems with temperature. It's nearly impossible to keep my temperatures down in South Florida. I'm thinking of building either the "Son of Fermentation Chiller" or getting the 60 Quart Igloo, and trying to err on the side of too cold rather than too hot.

Has anyone built either of these recently, and what is the cost? and where can I get "extruded expanded polystyrene foam board"? and for how much?

And as a follow up, how long do I need to keep the temperature at 68? Until initial fermentation stops or until ready to drink? Because now, if I get a carboy, I may have to build two of these things.

I don't know much about this topic, but the "extruded expanded polystyrene foam board" you mentioned sure does sound a lot like the foam insulation sheets they sell at Home Depot or Lowes. Comes in several sizes, densities, and thicknesses. Usually pretty cheap.

A possible cheap alternative is to keep your fermenters immersed in a big tub of water. The evaporative effect will keep an immersed object cooler than ambient air temperatures. There are limits of course depending on just hot it gets down there in South Florida. I've lived there and it can get pretty damn hot. You can get these tubs at feed stores...It would be good to keep your beer at 68 or below all through the process including bottle conditioning. Lower the temperature before you drink the stuff.

Latest posts

Back