Am I ready to Bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rokfizix

Reaction score
I was wondering if I'm ready to bottle or should I wait. This is my first batch.

I'm brewing a 5 gallon Light Ale from MoreBeer! It started with 6 lbs Malt Extract.

Initial Gravity: 1.042 on 10/9/10
Check Gravity again on 10/15/10 when I transfered to secondary - 1.018
Today's Gravity (10/23/10): 1.014
The fermenter has been stored in the basement at ~65 degrees F

What do you think? Ready to bottle or am I jumping the gun? Thanks.

Keep an eye on it, by checking gravity for a few days. If you get consistent results, (say in three days) I usually give it one or two more days to let the yeast finish cleaning up, and doing what they do best. Then bottle.

You would have been better leaving it in the primary fermenter for another week to finish up. Once fermentation is done, the yeast seem to clean up the beer, so it is a good idea not to rack too soon.

However, since you have racked, don't worry. There are lots of yeast still in suspension, it will just take a little longer.

When is it done? What yeast did you use? Some prefer a little higher temperatures, and it could just be going slow. I would bring it to a warmer room. Don't worry about fusel alcohols or funky flavors from the yeast, at higher temperatures, since it is just about done.

The yeast strain will also somewhat dictate what the FG will be. If you used Windsor, you could very well be there, but if you used Nottingham, it could go down to 1.008 or lower (I don't think you used Nottingham, as it works at low temps and works fast).

My suggestion: leave it another week.

You're not ready to bottle until that SG holds itself for at least a few days in a row.

Check the gravity over the next couple of days and if it's holding steady, you're probably fine - I'd leave it another week just to be sure.

+1 to ModernLife. The SG is your best bet on determining when your beer is done fermenting. But that's not to say you have to get your beer off the yeast the minute the fermentation is done. In fact many believe it's best to leave it on the yeast for another week or so once ferm is done so the yeast can "clean up" after themselves. Unless you are in a rush to bottle for an event or certain date, then just leave it for a month and you will be fine. Unless it's a barley wine or other big style beer, it is almost 100% that ferm will be done by then. Check the SG a couple days apart to make sure it's steady, just for peace of mind. Good luck and happy brewing.

Back