Harvesting Dandelions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CandleWineProject

Reaction score
A lot of talk has been going on about how to make dandelion wine, and I have a few questions...

1. How does one pick and prepare the flowers?
  2. Are they freezer worthy, and if so, what do you need to do to them?

Now I just have to keep my dandelion bitter brewing husband from getting them all... Well, I say, "If life gives you dandelions, make beer or wine."

Thanks,
Heather

Hello I made two one gallon batches of dandelion wine last year. It didn't smell like vomit, but it didn't smell good. Tasted good though. A wine lover friend of mine said it was really good once you got past the smell! I didn't make any this year! I have heard it should smell like fresh mowed hay. I don't beleive that discribes what mine smelled like. can any one tell me what good dandielion wine should taste like? Again it tasted sort of good, a dry sort of taste.

I have some dandelion wine in the primary right now.

This is how the wife and I prepared the flowers.

This is the recipe I used and it smelled great when boiling and smells excellent in the carboy. I'm going to pitch the yeast tonight (I added a campden tablet last night to sterilize the must and have to wait 24 hours before adding the yeast)

Hopefully it turns out as good as it smells right now.

2 qts dandelion flowers
1 11.5 oz can of Welch's 100% White Grape frozen concentrate
6-3/4 pts water
2-1/2 lbs granulated sugar
2 lemons
1 orange
1 tsp yeast nutrient
Champagne wine yeast

Pick and remove petals from the flowers ahead of time and freeze petals until you have enough. Put the petals in a nylon straining bag, tie closed, and bring the water to a boil in large pot. When water boils, place nylon bag in water, reduce to a simmer, and cover pot with lid. Simmer for 20 minutes and remove from heat. When cool, drain petals (squeeze lightly) and return water to a low boil. Add the sugar and the peels (peel thinly and avoid any of the white pith) of the lemons and orange. Reduce heat and simmer for one hour, then pour into a crock or plastic pail. Add the juice and pulp of the lemons and orange and the white grape concentrate. Allow to stand until cool (70-75 degrees F.). Add yeast and yeast nutrient, cover, and put in a warm place for three days. Strain and pour into a secondary fermentation vessel (bottle or jug) and fit airlock. When wine clears, rack into clean secondary, top up and refit airlock. Rack, top up and refit airlock every 60 days as long as even a fine dusting of lees form. When wine stops throwing sediment for 60 days, rack into bottles and age six months before tasting. It will improve remarkably if allowed to age a full year. (credit: Jack Keller recipe)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back