Cider Fermenting very slow....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XanderBrew

Reaction score
Ok..re-pitched back in early feb..not much change. Tried a yeast nutrient to "start" it back up about 2 weeks ago...
Did the cider on 1/7/10 OG was 1.0725. Current reading 1.057. Sitting at about 2.5%! Seems to be creeping along. Would adding and granualted sugar or something help me get this up to around 5% at least? It has been 3 months..or should I just tuck it in a corner and forget about it until summer? Is there a limit on how long a cider can sit?

THANKS!!!!!

i have two questions. did your ingredients have preservatives like potassium sorbate? how did you aerate your must before pitching?

I am pretty certain that my cider had PS in it, with that said, it has been in the secondary for over 3 months and it is sitting at 2% and hasn't moved for the last month.

Since PS is a yeast inhibator not really a killer, is it worth trying to do starter this time and get the yeast live and re-pitch? I just can't seem to give up on this batch, but am just about too and dump it and start over with the right receipe this time.

Thoughts?

I would dump it and start over.

Alternatively you could brew a second batch of high alcohol cider/apple wine and blend them to create a semi-sweet more desert style batch. If you could force carbontate that is might be very quaffable. My wife would dig it.

Trying to remove or inactivate that sorbate would likely destoy your cider in the process, but if you are really bent on that process I would try:

Create a LARGE starter, pitch and rack. Settled yeast will have absorbed some Sorbate and will be removed when you rack. Repeat a couple of times and you many get a fermentation to start.

A totatlly different solution would be to pitch some malo-lactic bacteria, Oeneococcus(spelling?). This bacteria will consume the sorbate and allow new yeast to ferment. Ofcourse you will have the very noticable downside that your cider will lose most of it's tartness and will develop a powerful aroma of Geraniums!

Back