Replacing buckets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny9

Reaction score
Hey, do you guys periodically replace your plastic bucket fermentors after so many batches. I never considered this, but the guys on Brew Strong mentioned it briefly.

So I wondering what the general practice should be. Replace after so many batches, or just wait till its stained, scratched, or smelly.

thanks all!

:mug:

The number of uses is irrelevant. i would replace it if it gets to scratched up or if it gets too smelly.

There have been discussion on here about this. From what I remember some people have used the same bucket for years upon years with no flavors, aromas or infections as a result. However, some people also like to replace them after 10 batches or whatever they feel is a good number. Like GregJ said I think an arbitrary number makes no sense unless you have prior experience and know how long it takes for you to "use up" a bucket (if it's possible).

I can say that I have scratches in mine after about 10 batches which may or may not have caused an infection. However, I wasn't cleaning it with a super soft cloth and I had to use it for sanitizing instruments as well. I got tired of the ambiguity of plastic so I recently started fermenting in Sanke kegs and I LOVE it. However, this isn't an option for everyone.

I never considered this, but the guys on Brew Strong mentioned it briefly.

Also remember that this was said while they had guests from morebeer.com on who also happen to sell plastic fermenters. ;)

After bathing my kid who invariably pee'd in the bucket, and finding scratches galore in my other bucket I have replaced them.

If not for those I would keep using them. Buckets are annoying though because prying the lids off can be difficult. Also, if you have an insane krausen you may not know until too late.

I retired two buckets as fermenters, and turned them into sanitizer tanks for my brew day. I have one sitting in the laundry-room deep sink filled with Star San, always ready to go. Once a week, on brew day, it gets a fresh batch of Star San, and the old stuff is used to sanitize the keg and the fermenter.

Another option is to retire them as fermenters and turn them into grain buckets. The moral of the story is, don't just toss the bucket!

Latest posts

Back