First time cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMOKEU

Reaction score
I've been brewing beer for a while now, and I would like to make some cider. I don't have a press so I will be making it from an extract kit, probably a Black Rock kit. Is the actual process the same as brewing beer from extract kits? And do the kits taste any good?

I did a Black Rock kit, but I chucked a whole lotta extra White Chelsea in there, (About 3kg I think). Came out OK, but took ages to finish, about 6 weeks. Then I split it up, bottled some and secondaried the rest with raspberries, sultanas, spices and vanilla (5 different batches). Came out best with the sultanas, but it's all pretty young still, I figure I'll give it a bit of time. I'm thinking of doing another kit sometime. However, I did wash the yeast from it and used that recently on some plain ol Fresh Up green apple juice. Looks to be going well, yet to taste it. I'm thinking I'll rack it to a growler and leave it a few weeks to clear. Not sure if I'll carbonate it or just have it still.

Edit: I didn't actuall answer the main part of the question, yes, it is the same as the extract kits. Just empty the can, add the water and sugar, stir like hell and pitch. And at the end taste the syrup that's left on the inside of the can, yummy as!

I've never tried making an extract cider, I've always done it with freshly pressed cider blends in the fall... But you might find that your cider tastes less like a commercial cider and more like white wine and apple juice if you don't back-sweeten, which is fantastic if you like that sort of thing :D

If you haven't made any cider, try out Graff's cider (in the recipe section). It is really easy to make and tastes delicious!

I'm going to make another batch this week! :-D

I had a taste of the "Fresh-Up" cider today, it was all good. Definitely the way I'll go in the future. More expensive than kits though.

Back