Bitter beyond bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samc

Reaction score
Brewed up a 10 gallon batch of Pliny clone. Split about 9 gallons finished (darn hops soaked up a lot) between 2 fermenters and finally 2 corny kegs. First keg was about the best beer I ever tasted, much less brewed. However the second keg is so damn bitter I can barely drink it.

What happened? No real clue here and is it possible to save it somehow? I can choke down 1 glass a day but don't much see the point of suffering.

Most likely the flavor and aroma oils have broken down. More dry hopping can help there.

It is also the possibility that the fermentation continued, leaving less malt to contrast. It's worth checking the current gravity and compare that to the previous FG.

I have some bottles of a commercial IIPA that are a couple years old and they are massively bitter and not much else. I add a couple drops of hop oil extract to each bottle.

FG is exactly the same, checked it after Davids post. The beer was in primary for 2+ weeks & then dry hopped for a total of 3 weeks plus with a week on each hop.

Will try some hop oil tonight and see if that works. If it does I will drop an ounce of hops into the keg and see what happens.

thanks

Tossed in 1 ounce of Simcoe. Really cut the bitterness to a tolerable level. Thanks David !

Back