Adding Honey to my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dxp1113

Reaction score
I have been working on a Honey Wheat Ale and so far my ingredients are:
1lb Cara wheat Grains
6.6 lbs of Unhoped Wheat Liquid Extract
2 lbs of Honey
and Cascade Hops 2oz

Directed towards anyone but in particular to those who brew with honey, should i use less or keep it? My last batch i only added one oz of hops and it came out really sweet, almost like cider sweet. Do you think I would have less sweetness if added another ounce of hops? or less honey keeping in mind it is a honey wheat ale(i want it to be distinctively sweet with honey)?

I know its hard to help me without tasting it, but if anyone can id appreciate it.

The honey will dry out your beer, due to honey being highly fermentable (100%).

As far as the hops go, if you want some bitterness than going with something a little higher AA than cascade will add some bitterness. If you are looking for more hop flavor/aroma, then you should up the amounts you boil for 20 minutes or less.

If your recipe was the same last time, the sweetness proabably came from the steeped caramel malt. 1lb caramel is a good bit in this light of a beer. I might go for .25lb Crystal 20 for this beer.

Like everyone else said, honey will not really add too much honey flavor to your beer. It will dry it out. If you have tried mead, that is the flavor it will add to your beer. If you want it more honey like, use about .25-.5 lbs of honey malt instead of the crystal. Careful on the hops too. For a light American Wheat, I'd go between 10-25 IBUs. 10 would be more traditional.

I just recently brewed a Honey Wheat that turned out incredible and everyone loved. I added 1lb of Honey and 2oz of fresh Chamomile. I think 2oz. was a tad too much in the chamomile, but I would suggest adding some if you can get your hands on it. It gives it a great aroma and the subtle after taste is very soothing!

what about a UK First Gold, would that work better than the cascade?

Back