rectangle vs round coolers for tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaTiger

Reaction score
Is there much of a difference besides one is round? Is one preferred over the other and if so, can you explain why? Im looking to go cheap and I sure dont want to spend 50 bucks to get a round igloo cooler when I have a rectangle one here.

Ultimately the yeast don't care.....Like everything else in brewing, there is rarely a best or better, just what each person prefers to use. Some folks go with the rectangular because it can hold more grain than a 10 gallon round one, but that is just another preference.....

I believe the 10 gallon round favors fly sparging due to it's deeper grain bed. The rectangular has a shallower grain bed and makes stirring for batch sparging easier.

The round can also be used for batch sparging but I don't think the rectangular would be the best choice if fly sparging.

I believe the 10 gallon round favors fly sparging due to it's deeper grain bed. The rectangular has a shallower grain bed and makes stirring for batch sparging easier.

The round can also be used for batch sparging but I don't think the rectangular would be the best choice if fly sparging.

This is pretty much correct. Especially since many of the rectangular ones don't have a uniform bottom.

OK...Just noticed that most of them were the round ones and I have yet to see a video of a rectangular build on one. Just making sure that rectangle was fine. Im thinking that Im just going to go ahead and all grain after my next extract kit. Gotta get the turkey fryer, pot, and then get the cooler done right and I think Ill be set.

round = easier to store, thicker grain bed, can batch -OR- fly sparge,
rectangular = more grain for really huge beers

Back