Nitro - How quickly can i get it pouring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Douglefish

Reaction score
So I have a robust porter in the fermenter that is done. I just got my beer gas setup, and would love to pour some beer out of it by Sat evening. I know that I probably have about .9 volumes of C02 already in the beer so I need to get it to about 1.2.

I'm assuming I can do this by just a little shaking and then hook it up to beer gas.

My question is, will it pour ok assuming that I get the c02 right?

Does any of the nitrogen actually get dissolved in the beer or is it only for pushing? I've read different opinions.

It pretty much just pushes the beer since you need a higher psi to push through the stout faucet. It will be tricky, but you can try force carbing it. Put it to a higher psi on CO2 for a bit, then purge and hook up to nitrogen and see how it pours. Try not to overcarbonate (above 1.5 volumes) or you will get a glass of foam.

You have beer gas (nitro/ co2 mix) not pure nitrogen right?

I carbonate my keg on co2 for about a week on 10-15psi. Then hook up the beer gas and set it to 30 psi.

I can dispense almost immediately through my stout faucet and it comes out creamy.

Then hook up the beer gas and set it to 30 psi.

I can dispense almost immediately through my stout faucet and it comes out creamy.

I guess that would be a good indication that not much nitrogen is absorbed by the beer while it's sitting in the keg. Not much nitrogen would diffuse into the beer in such a short time.

I guess that would be a good indication that not much nitrogen is absorbed by the beer while it's sitting in the keg. Not much nitrogen would diffuse into the beer in such a short time.

The nitrogen doesn't go into solution at all, that's why you have to run beer gas when pushing through stout faucets at those pressures... trying to push through a stout faucet at 30psi CO2 would result in glasses of pure foam, and TONS of purging required to take it back down, as all that CO2 will try to go into solution, and at 30psi you'll get a LOT of it.

Back