Cheap Jagermeister "clone"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMOKEU

Reaction score
Love Jagermeister but hate the cost? I have found a recipe to make a liquer that tastes very similar to the real thing.
Ingredients: 1L neutral spirit 40%ABV, Still Spirits Herbal Liquer essence and Still Spirits Liquer base A. Mix together and age it for a week. Serve ice cold, straight from freezer. I prefer to use 150ml of Essencia Ezibase in place of the Still Spirits base as it's cheaper and easier to mix.

Are these liquer products purchased at home brew/wine making stores?

I get all the above mentioned ingredients (except for the alcohol) from my LHBS. It's worth making, this liquer is delicious on its own - or try mixed with Red Bull.

If you are buying decent vodka, which I would think you would need to, how is this saving you any money?

I drank "Jagermeister" and another drink called "Unterberg" a lot in Germany.

It's an after dinner drink used to aid in digesting your food. I never drank it cold or mixed with anything either. I'm sure it loses its intended medicinal properties that way.

Anyway, from a website:

For most of its 131-year history in Germany, Jagermeister had been an after-dinner digestif. I've always been fascinated by how Americans have turned that tradition on its head by making it a shooter. By now, we've exported the idea back to Germany, and you'll see young Germans sucking down Jager shots. Jagermeister, in my opinion, is still best enjoyed straight and not as a cocktail mixer.

Jager is just gross.

I can see its use as an aperitif though. Limoncello is usually what I reach for though. Since my fiancee's family is Italian, there is always some on hand.

Jager is just gross.

Might as well drink NyQuil, it's cheaper. And you can get it in gel caps, so you don't even have to taste it.

That said, sometimes I just have to drink it, like poking at a sore tooth.

I drank "Jagermeister" and another drink called "Unterberg" a lot in Germany.

It's an after dinner drink used to aid in digesting your food. I never drank it cold or mixed with anything either. I'm sure it loses its intended medicinal properties that way.

Anyway, from a website:

For most of its 131-year history in Germany, Jagermeister had been an after-dinner digestif. I've always been fascinated by how Americans have turned that tradition on its head by making it a shooter. By now, we've exported the idea back to Germany, and you'll see young Germans sucking down Jager shots. Jagermeister, in my opinion, is still best enjoyed straight and not as a cocktail mixer.

Jaegermeister went down very well with the raver crowd, so it's not completely true to say that it was reexported to the Germans.
The young people were drinking it on the way home from raves and it allegedly goes very well with an ecstacy buzz......

In any case there was a modern revival of it in the last few years as "ravermeister" you can even get the t-shirts and the rave mix CD's.
But never mixed with anything in germany, fui-katze as the Germans would say to that :)

If you take cheap vodka and run it through a brita filter a few times, it will remove a lot of the bad taste. It's good for doing mixes/extracts etc.

It looks like I'm in the minority on here but I really enjoy Jager. I usually keep a bottle on hand. I'm not going to witch doctor my own anyways, it's not like a bottle is $75. It's like $25 for 750mL. That comes out to roughly $1 a serving using a shot as a serving size.

Back