Dark Mild Reaper's Mild, 1st place 2011 HBT Competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick reply here... If you're on top of your process... can produce a bright wort and pitch a healthy quantity of yeast... ferment it out quickly and drop then yes... you've (just) got enough time to warm condition for a few days and then let it equilibrate in the bottle.

My batch... I made 40litres, split into one half kegged... the other half I'd only bottled last night. The extra time in the FV for bottled version had the same time in primary but I left it in the cool for 9 more days before bottling yesterday. It was great tasting going into the bottle... so I anticipate that it'll become more refined.

Working for you... low levels of carbonation for the style. Nottingham attenuates well in this wort, falls quickly and sticks to the FV like it's glued down. I'd imagine you'd get a great result with WLP002/WY1968.

Give it a go. If you come to test it on the 30th... and it's not quite there then you'll have an excellent haul come mid January.
[URL="https://www.maltosefalcons.com/tech/express-brewing-speed-brewing-grain-glass-less-10-days-
More guidance here[/URL]

Thanks for the detailed reply. :mug:
If I do brew it I will be using Nottingham.
I'm still beating myself up over which beers I will brew today. A Janet's Brown ale for sure and then 1 or 2 "quick" beers from Centennial blonde, Reaper's Mild and a 4.5% Session IPA that I designed myself. Except for a quicker turnaround I'll skip the dry hop and add a few oz extra to the whirlpool instead.

I have some chores to do this morning before I can start so I'll see how much time I have left over before deciding exactly what I'll brew.

:tank:

Crisp has a PALE chocolate malt (200-250L) and a chocolate malt (425-475L). Which is prefered in this recipe?

Crisp has a PALE chocolate malt (200-250L) and a chocolate malt (425-475L). Which is prefered in this recipe?

I was wondering the same thing. Looks like the recipe follows pretty close to Orfys Mild, which uses Chocolate malt from Fawcett. I believe thats in the 500L range. I'm assuming then that the regular chocolate malt is being used.

I brewed this On Oct 26th using a yeast slurry from last may that I had in the fridge in a mason jar. No joke -i kegged it 7 days later, On 11-2, and tasting it yesterday ( 11-5) was absolutely amazing. Cannot believe this beer is actually still green and will improve. This will be a staple in my kegerator going forward.

So, I brewed this but used WLP002. I got a 1.038 OG, and all was going well, but the yeast stalled out at 1.020. That's only 47% attenuation, for 2.4% ABV. I added some US-01 to try to bring it down a few more points, and it got down to 1.018 for 2.7% ABV. Is this OK for a mild? According to the BJCP, the bottom of the ABV range for a mild is 3%. I'm going to keg and carb it in a day or so, but do you think it will be too sweet?

So, I brewed this but used WLP002. I got a 1.038 OG, and all was going well, but the yeast stalled out at 1.020. That's only 47% attenuation, for 2.4% ABV. I added some US-01 to try to bring it down a few more points, and it got down to 1.018 for 2.7% ABV. Is this OK for a mild? According to the BJCP, the bottom of the ABV range for a mild is 3%. I'm going to keg and carb it in a day or so, but do you think it will be too sweet?
How did this turn out?

I've grabbed the recipe and scaled it to my setup. Plan to brew it in the future. I've been enjoying immensely the Best Bitter I brewed a couple months ago, and I want to explore other British styles.

Back