Gluten free extract kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

austin_hubbell

Reaction score
I am a new brewer , just two brews under my belt. I was wondering if anyone knows of a extract kit that could brew that is glutten free. My sister was recently diagnosed with celiac, her birthday is coming and i was hopping to brew her a nice glutten free beer as a suprise. Any help would be great , thanks.

I was only able to find one or two such kits online. Since it's still a relatively new area, there aren't a lot of kits out yet. Even then, any kits at the moment are pretty easy to put together. Do you happen to know what type of beer you're looking to create?
Some of the earlier threads are about using different ingredients. Three of which are pretty easy at this point to come by:
Sorghum syrup
Brown Rice syrup
Invert sugar
oh yeah, molasses and honey.

Be aware that all of us here are still working on what we call a sorghum twang, which isn't pleasing to some people which is why we use more than just sorghum sometimes. (I do like the way a simple english ale of sorghum, Safale-s04 and Kent Golding hops came out though).
Are you looking for a heavier type of ale, or a lighter one?

I will be drinkin it but it is mostly for her so i would say a decent lighter ale is what i am looking for not to hopy .

Find an extract kit online that you like the sound of, and just substitute the malt extract for sorghum extract, or a mix of sorghum extract and rice syrup.

Post up the original ingredients of the kit, and we can help you out.

Also, I'd recommend using dry yeast.

I think your best bet is to use one of the sorghum/brown rice recipes that we've been coming up with in the forum rather than the kit. Something simple like
4 pounds brs
3 pounds sorghum
2 ounces of some light hops for 60
1 ounce for aroma (10 minutes or so)
some irish moss?
so4 or so5 yeast?

Actually, I think there was a gluten free blonde ale somewhere. Check Dkeshner's site, or Lcasanova, I know they have some of their recipes on their name links. I'm not doing too well with my taste reports on mine. I'm trying to figure out which bottles are which (sure I've sharpied the caps, but I don't know which number corresponds to which recipe right now thank goodness I don't have more than 10 so far.)

I think your best bet is to use one of the sorghum/brown rice recipes that we've been coming up with in the forum rather than the kit. Something simple like
4 pounds brs
3 pounds sorghum
2 ounces of some light hops for 60
1 ounce for aroma (10 minutes or so)
some irish moss?
so4 or so5 yeast?

Actually, I think there was a gluten free blonde ale somewhere. Check Dkeshner's site, or Lcasanova, I know they have some of their recipes on their name links. I'm not doing too well with my taste reports on mine. I'm trying to figure out which bottles are which (sure I've sharpied the caps, but I don't know which number corresponds to which recipe right now thank goodness I don't have more than 10 so far.)

+1 to the above recipe, except less bittering hops and move the aroma to flameout. ;)

Here is the blonde ale that Kevin was referring to. It turned out very light in flavor and VERY easy to drink.

+1 to the above recipe, except less bittering hops and move the aroma to flameout. ;)

Here is the blonde ale that Kevin was referring to. It turned out very light in flavor and VERY easy to drink.

Info isn't coming up on that recipe for me. Is it working for others?

Question I have is:

Is the Blonde Ale or the No Pils Pils a closer profile to Labatt's Blue?

My wife loved LB and since she has Celiac she can no longer drink it and not a fan of beer except LB. Was hoping one of these two would be a nice test

Thanks

Question I have is:

Is the Blonde Ale or the No Pils Pils a closer profile to Labatt's Blue?

My wife loved LB and since she has Celiac she can no longer drink it and not a fan of beer except LB. Was hoping one of these two would be a nice test

Thanks

Finding information on labatt's is actually tough, their websites are terrible.

From what I remember, labatt's blue is a light lager with a bit of fruitiness to it. No Pils Pils would be pretty close as written, but perhaps sub some honey for brown rice syrup to make the taste lighter.

one other question is do you have to "hot-Break" the wort like a normal beer or just a good boil?

one other question is do you have to "hot-Break" the wort like a normal beer or just a good boil?

Hot break is material formed during a vigorous boil. This requirement is there to subdue off-flavor causing compounds like DMS. The amount of DMS in beer varies a small amount by ingredient, but the only real concern is pilsner grain. You should boil your GF beer like you would a normal, non-pilsner gluten-having beer.

60 min of rolling boil is a good start.

I didn't directly link the Blonde ale because I wasn't sure I had it right. It wasn't coming up for me, but I thought it might have been due to being at work. Guess it wasn't just me then.

I gave the gluten free dark ale kit a shot as my first brew ever and all things considered is pretty decent. Not as dark as I would have liked but "actually tastes like beer" according to my girlfriend

Back