Filtering the wort into carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoCardinals09

Reaction score
Please clarify,

Do you need to filter the wort so its free of trub before putting it into a carboy. Some have told me that letting all the trub into the carboy is ok because it will settle to the bottom anyways and others have said to filter the trub before the wort enters the carboy. Any thoughts on this, What do you do with the wort and trub once your done broiling and cooling the wort!!

Thanks

There is no harm in not filtering your wort. I have done both and have not noticed any difference. The trub will sink and compress on the bottom of your carboy.

I feel with any hoppy beer, it is absolutely better to keep the majority of the kettle hops out of the fermenter. Everytime I have not done so, I have gotten a rather unpleasant grassy/vegetal flavor.

The protein, meh, who cares about that stuff. But if you have a very hoppy beer, I recommend straining them or bagging them.

some of the trub acts as nutrients for the yeast, supposedly, but I agree with kennedy that you should generally avoid getting too much hop matter in the primary.

Do a search for the whirl-pool method of siphoning. I hated straining IPA's having to empty the strainer multiple times, after the whirlpool, I barely have anything in the strainer at all. It still serves its purpose as an aerator.

Do a search for the whirl-pool method of siphoning. I hated straining IPA's having to empty the strainer multiple times, after the whirlpool, I barely have anything in the strainer at all. It still serves its purpose as an aerator.

This is really good advice IMO. I too was struggling w/ my strainer until I started whirlpooling really well AND letting it sit for 15-20 min. It also serves another purpose for me since I have trouble getting my wort below 80ish anyways when using my IC.

I primary in plastic so when i transfer from my kettle i line my bucket with a big grain bag and pour it in ,pull the bag and wring it out.no mess into the fermenter.

USE KETTLE FININGS!!! I whirlpool, and I notice a huge difference in the compactness of the trub in the kettle when I forget irish moss (happens probably once every 3rd batch). The trub cone is good, but it is always more loose and tends to fall apart compared to when I use irish moss.

I never filter, just whirlpool, and I'm surprised at the lack of crap at the bottom of my carboy.

USE KETTLE FININGS!!! I whirlpool, and I notice a huge difference in the compactness of the trub in the kettle when I forget irish moss (happens probably once every 3rd batch). The trub cone is good, but it is always more loose and tends to fall apart compared to when I use irish moss.

I never filter, just whirlpool, and I'm surprised at the lack of crap at the bottom of my carboy.

I follow the same regiment (whirlpool and irish moss), but the question really is - what difference does it make? I've had instances where things got clogged up when I was transferring from kettle to primary - so I did whatever I could to get it into the primary and that included all the crap I usually try not to put in there. No difference in the final product...

I don't usually filter any of my wort going into primary. I've made well over 250 batches, and have yet to have any vegetal or grassy flavors from not doing so.

If I use a ton of leaf hops, sometimes I'll pour the wort through a sanitized strainer (so it doesn't later clog my siphon) but it's not something I usually do.

hi my name is sully and i confess i am a whirlpooler. there i said it can i sit down now that i have stated my problem?

Back