boiling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfman

Reaction score
i have an electric stove and it is hard to keep a rolling boil without keeping the lid mostly covering the pot. is there a benefit to boiling wort uncovered as opposed to covered??

I read in The Brew-Masters Bible by Stephen Snyder that you should boil without a cover. The condensation that collects on the lid drips back into the pot, returning an element that is usually dissapated out of the wort. Can't remember what it was though. Will try and find the section and update this post . If you do need to boil while partially covered just try to be careful when you remove the lid so as not to allow the condensation to fall back into the wort. Well, can't seem to find the reference of which I stated. I do remeber reading it just can't find it. will keep looking but in the mean time maybe some of the old hands can chime in.

Some things others have done are boiling less water (adjusting for gravity), and insulating their brew bot with a non-flammable insulation product.

Buy I wouldn't boil with the lid on.

i have been boiling 3 gallons then topping it up to 5 in the fermenter, if i boil with 2 gallons would it have an effect on the finished product? :mug: I mainly use extract with specialty grains.

you could always try to split you boil eg.. start everything like normal so the volume is the same for mix your extract in then split it in to 2 pots of 1 1/2 gallon boils each, then recombine at the end of your boils and proceed normally

you need to boil off the Dimethel sulfide, or your finished beer could end up with a vegetable/cabbage like off-flavor.

Surfman said:
i have been boiling 3 gallons then topping it up to 5 in the fermenter, if i boil with 2 gallons would it have an effect on the finished product? :mug: I mainly use extract with specialty grains.

You should be fine doing this. The only thing is your hop utilization won't be quite as good. You can either correct this by adding slightly more hops, or just dealing with slightly less IBUs in your beer. But even a slightly lower IBU level from your hops is much better then the off taste you will get from boiling with the lid on.

stale said:
I read in The Brew-Masters Bible by Stephen Snyder that you should boil without a cover. The condensation that collects on the lid drips back into the pot, returning an element that is usually dissapated out of the wort. Can't remember what it was though. Will try and find the section and update this post . If you do need to boil while partially covered just try to be careful when you remove the lid so as not to allow the condensation to fall back into the wort. Well, can't seem to find the reference of which I stated. I do remeber reading it just can't find it. will keep looking but in the mean time maybe some of the old hands can chime in.

DMS!!!!!!!!!!! Some brews require 90 min boil to drive it away.

Back