Northern Brewer Rye Malt Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Run4BeerCO

Reaction score
For the first time ever, brewing with rye is possible for extract homebrewers! Northern Brewer’s exclusive Rye malt syrup has the spicy, earthy flavor of rye that makes classic Roggenbier, RyePAs, and more. This proprietary blend of 70% 2-row, 20% malted rye, and 10% caramel 40 malt allows you to formulate your own one-of-a-kind rye beer! Our Rye Malt Syrup provides 1.035 ppg and is approximately 6 L. Northern Brewer Malt Syrups are some of the freshest malt extracts you can buy. Our high rate of turnover- we package and sell hundreds of gallons every day -means that the syrup you receive won't have been sitting on the shelf for months. Fresh malt extract makes better beer!

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/northern-brewer-rye-malt-syrup.html

How much of this syrup would I need to make a 1.100 OG 5 gallon batch?

Go here: hopville This is a web based beer calc program. There are a ton of other programs but this one is pretty easy to use. Using a program like this is the best way to formulate recipes, you can figure what you need to get the style you want (Original gravity, IBU, SRM etc.) Have fun!

Just do the math. The extract yields 35 ppg. Just need to plug in the numbers.

To get a 1.100 OG for five gallons, you need 500 points (100 x 5 gallons)
At 35 points per pound of extract you'd need ~14.3 lbs. of the extract (500 / 35)

Just do the math. The extract yields 35 ppg. Just need to plug in the numbers.

To get a 1.100 OG for five gallons, you need 500 points (100 x 5 gallons)
At 35 points per pound of extract you'd need ~14.3 lbs. of the extract (500 / 35)

Thanks. I normally use beersmith for my all grain recipes, but I don't have access to it today, and brewersfriend doesn't have this extract.

It finally dawned on me that "ppg" is "points per gallon". That would have made things a lot easier! :smack:

Back