how long will grains stay fresh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozziej

Reaction score
quick question- am getting ready to make a saison (all grain), however just found out that I have to head out of town tomorrow for about 2 weeks. The grains are already crushed and ready to go- in your experiences, how long will crushed grains remain fresh and able to be used? I've sealed them up in ziploc bags and pressed the excess air out...

anyone have any idea- 2 weeks maybe (I hope!)?

thanks

2 weeks is no issue. A month would be ok too. Beyond that I would vacuum pack the grains until you're ready to use them.

I keep uncrushed grain in sealed bins/buckets for many months without issue. Mostly due to buying multiple sacks at a time. :D

Keeping uncrushed grain in bags is what most breweries do anyway, then crush as needed. I'd agree with Golddiggie about a month being pretty ok. I bet the Saison yeast will do a pretty good job covering up any funky flavors from the grain, just in case it's a little stale.

Recently brewed a red ipa using grain crushed 10/2011. The grain was stored in a bag secured with a twist tie (not air-tight), in a box in my uninsulated pantry in my NE home. In other words, it experienced both ends of the temperature spectrum in less than ideal conditions.

I came in three points above my anticipated og for fresh grain and was spot on for my fg. More importantly, the beer tastes great.

The only difference I've noticed between this batch and when I've brewed this recipe previously is less defined hop aroma, flavor and less bitterness. Hops were just as old, but stored in the freezer.

I've been so surprised by the results that I've been inspired to see how far I can push it. I've an old wit kit crushed around three years ago stored in the same place. Planning to brew it this weekend.

Back