Problems with Northwestern Gold malt extract being too dark

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuddyBrews

Reaction score
Just made a Sweetwater IPA recipe yesterday, After pouring my lme in my kettle i realized it was way darker than i had remembered it being. Called my brew store guy and he tells me they have been having problems with this lately and it had been oxidized in the packaging process. He tells me it shouldn't affect the flavor of my beer at all just will be slightly darker. But IT look really Kinda redish amber and is kinda worrying me. Anyone ever experienced this and how was the outcome. Should i be worried? Thanks a lot for any help!

I had a darker batch, added it about 15 minutes before flameout and my beer came out beautiful and light golden. I did a full boil + late extract addition, which really helps achieve proper colors when using LME. Also makes it taste A LOT better.

I had a darker batch, added it about 15 minutes before flameout and my beer came out beautiful and light golden. I did a full boil + late extract addition, which really helps achieve proper colors when using LME. Also makes it taste A LOT better.

Ive been under the impression that the LME need the full hour boil. huh:drunk:

Bassbeer your Asheville? Maybe we both had got the darker batch from the same place!! :mug: Cheers!!

I just brewed the NB Belgian Tripel with golden LME and it turned out dark too. My next extract batch I think I will only add 1/4 of the LME at the start of boil, and add the rest at 15 to flame out.

Did a 3 gallon boil. The LME is basically red not the normal gold color.

When did u add it? Flameout or early on? Only thing I can think of is that it was a more concentrated batch... ie less water, not full boil. If u add them in the last 15 minutes instead of the 60 as directed, it won't affect flavor but the sugars wont caramelize as much and darken. I did that with my most recent hefe. But then again it could be something with the product too, i dunno.

When did u add it? Flameout or early on? Only thing I can think of is that it was a more concentrated batch... ie less water, not full boil. If u add them in the last 15 minutes instead of the 60 as directed, it won't affect flavor but the sugars wont caramelize as much and darken. I did that with my most recent hefe. But then again it could be something with the product too, i dunno.

I added at beginning of boil. I'm sure its something with the product. I spoke to brew store guy and he tells me that Northwestern has been having this problem lately. He apparently asked them about it and was told there was some oxidizing during the packaging process and it shouldn't affect the flavor at all but i have trouble believing that. He also told me they would no longer be carrying any of northwestern anymore after the last order is gone.

I posted a similar thread about a batch of extra light LME that was very dark. In my case the LME was likely old. The batch is not likely to ever get good. Unfortunately you just have to bottle it and taste it down the road to really know for sure.

I posted a similar thread about a batch of extra light LME that was very dark. In my case the LME was likely old. The batch is not likely to ever get good. Unfortunately you just have to bottle it and taste it down the road to really know for sure.

I think this batch is old too. Plus i just found out that northwestern gets their extracts from Briess in huge barrels and then just repackages. :confused:

I don't think too many people know this but Northwestern just gets there extract from Briess and then re-packages. Not my style to be middle-manned!!

Back