Sanitizer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewkinger

Testing... testing...is this frigger on?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
May seem like a redundant question as I am sure that if i glanced through every thread I could find the answer.

In one of the many videos on brewing or literature that I have read, i seem to remember that I can mix a batch of sanitizer up in a large bucket and use it over and over again??

Is it only a certain kind of sanitizer that this can be done with?

When will it expire? Can I test the effectiveness (it seems that I can remember them testing the pH)?

brewkinger said:
May seem like a redundant question as I am sure that if i glanced through every thread I could find the answer.

In one of the many videos on brewing or literature that I have read, i seem to remember that I can mix a batch of sanitizer up in a large bucket and use it over and over again??

Is it only a certain kind of sanitizer that this can be done with?

When will it expire? Can I test the effectiveness (it seems that I can remember them testing the pH)?

it has to do with pH but I can't remember what's it's supposed to stay below... 3.8 maybe?

I make up a one gallon batch of StarSan sanitizer at a time, store in an old water bottle, and use that maybe up to a month. I also keep a spray bottle and use that about a month or so. I never check the pH.

edit: i don't "re-use" the sanitizer though - I pour out relatively small quantities as I need them and discard those small amounts when I'm done with them for a day.

I actually googled it and lo and behold and link to HBT that answered the question.

According to the post; can be reused pH of 3 and "as long as it is not cloudy and/or does not foam.

I would attach the link to the thread here, but I do not know how to.

I would think they mean you can use it as long as it does not foam or isn't cloudy. Foam = good. No foam = bad.

Back