Use for a broken keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biermann

Reinvented Biermann
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone have any suggestions for the use of a non-functional keg??

I bought the thing off ebay in a lot of others, only to find that it had a crack in the top near the lid. . .I had an acquaintance put a weld on it. . .thought it was fixed--- when I pressurized it, I thought it was going to hold. . . only to find out she welded it on the inside as well, so the rubber O-ring won't seal, and it leaks gas like a sieve. It drained my tank in nothing flat.

Anyway, anyone have any suggestions or possible uses for the thing??

I don't want to throw it away. . .

I thought about getting out the old dremel tool, and grinding down the weld inside, but I'm still leary the thing will leak like crazy, or I'll bust the weld open. I've also thought about making some sort of storage container, or something out of it . . .

It could be top for a DIY conical fermenter. Or a spare parts keg then scrap the rest. I got $1.50 for the tops I cut off of the keggles I made. 2lbs. Or cut the top off and use it as brew storage for racking canes, thermometers and other brew stuff.:mug:

67coupe390 said:
It could be top for a DIY conical fermenter. Or a spare parts keg then scrap the rest. I got $1.50 for the tops I cut off of the keggles I made. 2lbs. Or cut the top off and use it as brew storage for racking canes, thermometers and other brew stuff.:mug:
Not bad ideas. . .I've thought of similar. currently I have it sitting under my water filter to catch leaking water. I've been thinking of a way to construct a storage tank or maybe even a fermenter. . .but I have too many fermenters as is. . .:D

You could cut the top off of this keg, the bottom off another one, and have her weld them together into an eight- or nine-gallon Cornie. It'd be tall as hell, but that would be pretty sweet. Pretty sure Yuri's been doing this to transform two 5-gallon kegs into a 7-gallon and a 3-gallon.

you can grind that weld downyou dont have to worry about the crack anymore the weld acts as a filler for the crack. if im reading this right im assuming she put a weld on the lip the big O ring sits? if so just grind the weld down flat put your o ring back on and try it again.

I agree that it would be tough to get that surface back to sealable especially since you can't see it. You could use it as a heat exchanger for a HERMS. You put a coil of copper in it and a water heater element. If you[re not brewing all grain then this is totally useless advice.

blefferd said:
you can grind that weld downyou dont have to worry about the crack anymore the weld acts as a filler for the crack. if im reading this right im assuming she put a weld on the lip the big O ring sits? if so just grind the weld down flat put your o ring back on and try it again.

Yeah, you're reading it right. . .

I might get the dremel out . .. although I like Edwort's suggestion as well.

Bobby_M said:
I agree that it would be tough to get that surface back to sealable especially since you can't see it. You could use it as a heat exchanger for a HERMS. You put a coil of copper in it and a water heater element. If you[re not brewing all grain then this is totally useless advice.

I brew all grain-- and I already have HERMS. I also direct fire my kettles, and I'm not sure how to do all that with a cornie. . .

3548-indoorbrewsetupwithHERMS.JPG

3548-entirebreweryandfermenters.JPG

Keep the ideas coming!! I need a project!!

the_bird said:
What's that under your workbench? :confused:

NO REAL HOMEBREWER USES BLEACH!

(scampers away) ;)
Whats wrong with bleach? I like to smell my clean.:ban:

You could also convert it to a really big counter flow chiller.

Good idea about the 7 gal cornie.:rockin:

the_bird said:
What's that under your workbench? :confused:

NO REAL HOMEBREWER USES BLEACH!

(scampers away) ;)

Actually, that bleach was there on that particular occasion for two reasons:

1. My dog went in the brewery and $#it on the floor.

2. I used it to get rid of some nasty stains in one of my carboys.

I don't typically use bleach as a sanitizer, but it does work well to clean :mug:

Biermann said:
1. My dog went in the brewery and $#it on the floor.

The stance of your dog in the top pic kind of looks like he was thinking about doing it again in the house :D.

DesertBrew said:
The stance of your dog in the top pic kind of looks like he was thinking about doing it again in the house :D.

Yeah, I got that dog spayed, and she instantly became a floor $#itting retard.

Unfortunately, her kennel is in the brew room over in the corner, so she feels the room is her toilet sometimes.

I would either store grains in it, or Starsan. I have one that has a busted poppet on it, and I just keep star san in it.

Back