Filtering Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swingo

Reaction score
Current manually filter my beer (auto-siphon, grain bag, screen in my funnel). However, the beer does not get as filtered as I would like. I use gelatin before I filter.

I have 2 questions: 1) Any ideas for filtering better? Kegging is too expensive, so that is not an option. 2) Has anyone used a fish tank filter? If so, what was your experience with it? Do you think it would cause issues?

Current manually filter my beer (auto-siphon, grain bag, screen in my funnel). However, the beer does not get as filtered as I would like. I use gelatin before I filter.

I have 2 questions: 1) Any ideas for filtering better? Kegging is too expensive, so that is not an option. 2) Has anyone used a fish tank filter? If so, what was your experience with it? Do you think it would cause issues?

Are you extract, partial mash or all grain?

Can you post a pic of your beer (floaters)? Are you also talking about yeast in the bottle after bottle carbonation?

This would probably been better in the "General Techniques" forum.

What are your goals with filtering? What perceived defect are you trying to correct?

To answer all the question:

1. I brew both partial and all grain. I Lauder with the all grain, but can never get it perfectly clear. Also, sometimes when you add things like chocolate to the boil stuff still gets through.

2. I also try to filter with my grain bags, strainer and screen in my funnel, before I move to the primary and secondary.

swingo said:
To answer all the question:

1. I brew both partial and all grain. I Lauder with the all grain, but can never get it perfectly clear. Also, sometimes when you add things like chocolate to the boil stuff still gets through.

2. I also try to filter with my grain bags, strainer and screen in my funnel, before I move to the primary and secondary.

3. I know there will be a little bit of sediment from using priming sugar, rather than CO2, but this is more than that.

TIME, thats all you need. 4-6-8 weeks in primery (or secondery if you go that way) and if you can cold crash, even faster
your looking at filtering @ 1-5 um which requiers equipment.
I have been thinking of filltering myself, most of the time you need to do it under presure = equipment

And we are not talking about chill haze right? Or are we?

http://***********/stories/techniques/article/indices/23-clarity/490-conquer-chill-haze

Latest posts

Back