what happened to my krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pope86

Reaction score
I have been home brewing offand on for a year, usually I am the flavor and aroma person and my roommate does all the calculations and tech aspects. I did my first solo brew last night for a contest coming up in 2 months in my area.

After chilling the wort and putting it in the carboy I pitched my liqiud yeast (belgian ale) and added 2.5 gallons water to the carboy. The water was 75 degrees F and the liquid yeast I had let warm on its own, I didn't soke the vial in warm water.

There was a good foam on it after I put my plug and bubbler on and within hours there was no krausen but a large pile of yeast on the bottom already. I am afraid that my reciepe may have had more sugars than the ale yeast could handle.

SO what I need help trying to figure out is whether it was just a very fast acting batch or if it fizzled out prematurely...i diden't get an OG on it though so my mistake.

Any thoughts?

Was there ever really a krausen, or was there just foam from the initial pouring and any aeration? How may hours is "within hours"? It can take several hours to exit the lag phase and get into active fermentation.

that was probably just the foam from the pouring but belgian ale yeast is top fermenting isn't it? Shouldn't I get a krausen. And I was seeing some motion and activity in the bottom of the carboy within 3 hours.

It can take up to 3 days for fermentation to take off. Especially since it doesn't sound like you made a starter.

Relax....everything will be fine in the right time.

fwiw, what you saw on the bottom was most likely break material that dropped out of suspension, as it is wont to do...

Cheers!

Back