Lychee mead???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamorantares

Reaction score
Anyone tried it? I think the flavor and aroma of Lychee would go really well with a mead. Need to get on the ball about it before lychee season is officially over here in S. Florida. Looking for some tips on quantity and wether to de-nut the fruit before using.

Just from the fruit itself I can imagine that you would need a lot of lychees to get the flavour, especially in the secondary. I could imagine lychee going well with lavender if the lavender wasn't too overpowering. Might want to try searching for a recipe on gotmead.com.

Never done it, but it sounds like it would be good. One of my favorite bars does infused rums and one of them is actually honey-lychee, dee-lish, a semi-sweet lychee melomel would probably be just as wonderful, with the added advantage of being able to consume more of it before getting too buzzed to enjoy it.
I would probably peel the fruit and remove the seeds, then dice them and freeze and thaw before adding. I don't know what sort of volume you would want though, likely a sizeable amount.
Good luck! Keep us posted!

If you use fresh lychee remove the seed. I think lychee taste too good to be used to flavor mead. But the more I think about it the more I think it could be a good mix of flavors. I think I'll buy some canned lychee and mix some of the syrup in a glass of mead.

I made a one gallon batch. I peeled the fruit and took out the seed. It tastes kind of like perfume. It isn't bad, but I'll never make it again. There's much better recipes I'd rather make.

Back