Green stuff on a lid of pan (hops?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorRobert

Reaction score
So I did my first legit brew on Saturday. And I had could get it to boil, but I never really got a rolling boil like I wanted. So occasionally I would put the lid on (i know this is not what you're suppose to do, so I only did it brielfly and would wipe the lid off to get all the nasties on there).

My question is, that, I noticed the lid would collect all sorts of junk, green stuff mostly. Now since it got up there without boiling over, is this stuff floating up out of the pot? Is my kitchen ceiling going to turn green? I dont have a range hood or anything.

Yeah, one potetial problem with a weak heat source. I had the same issue when I did stovetop boils. I had to leave the lid almost completely on to reach a full rolling boil. Never had a batch go "bad" but I have now switched to an outdoor burner.

I would not imagine anything could go too awfully wrong as long as you only partially cover your pot. Any "stuff" that drips back into the pot is not good but the green stuff that sticks to the lid is not a worry. In fact the green stuff is nothing, wait 'til you see all the brown and grey chunks that come out of the boil! Yuck!

As long as you let as much of the steam as possible evaporate you should be OK! But this is just my humble opinion!!

Without a range hood your whole house must smell of hops! This is exactly what I did on my first and last boil in the kitchen. I was then given permission by SWMBO to get a propane cooker -best thing I ever purchased. Yeah, the green stuff is hops if you're using hop pellets. Next time use a mesh bag to hold the hops and this should keep more of the hops in the boil vs the sides/top of kettle.

Back