Rubber smell in Corny kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bendavanza

Reaction score
I bought a crapload of kegs at the scrapyard, these were water tanks for a lab, they have liquid level sensors. the kegs that had anything left in them were just water. I was going to use 2 of them yesterday but they have a distinct rubber smell to them, like a tire. I rinsed them in starsan and replaced the lid O ring but the smell remains, in fact the smell seems to com from the lid pretty strong. I did a search about rubber smell in kegs and just found posts about soda smells. Other than a soak in oxyclean is there something else I should consider trying? These kegs are super clean.
photo47.jpg

I bought a crapload of kegs at the scrapyard, these were water tanks for a lab, they have liquid level sensors. the kegs that had anything left in them were just water. I was going to use 2 of them yesterday but they have a distinct rubber smell to them, like a tire. I rinsed them in starsan and replaced the lid O ring but the smell remains, in fact the smell seems to com from the lid pretty strong. I did a search about rubber smell in kegs and just found posts about soda smells. Other than a soak in oxyclean is there something else I should consider trying? These kegs are super clean.
photo47.jpg
Starsan sterilizes, but doesn't clean or get rid of smell. Try the oxiclean in very hot water overnight, then do it again. The fact that you don't know what was in these means be extra carefull in doing a good cleaning job.

Oh, and of course, replace all gaskets.

Back