Make a pilsner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B192734

Reaction score
So I am looking for something to start in a couple of weeks when bottling happens, and I have empty carboys. I am thinking of trying to make a pilsner, but was not sure where that stood in the difficulty scale. I don't have a refrigerator in the garage yet to put things in, but didn't know if that was needed or was specific to certain recipes. What does everyone think? I love Pilsner (due to it's amazingness...) and would really like to try. Just don't know if it's a much harder style to make, or if I should just go for it.

Pilsner is tough for a couple of reasons:

1). Its a lager, so you need to be able to ferment in the 40s, so you really need specific equipment to do it.

2) They're very light, so any mistakes you make are going to stick out.

My advice? Try a Kolsch (like Ed Wort's/Beecave), and see if you like it. Similar beer, but you can ferment it at about 60.

Due to the lagering requirements it's a moderate to advanced style brew. If you've got a spot in your house that holds ~60F you could ferment with a SanFran Lager yeast like WLP810.

Edit: Synovia beat me to the punch :)

I do also like the Kolsch style. I may try that first. I am working on getting some more equipment so that I can lager at lower temps if I need to. So I guess that it can wait until then. No worries. Is there anything specific about making a Kolsch that I should look at? I have never made one before. Pretty much everything that I have made in the past has been ales, and a couple reds, and a really, really, dark stout. All but one turned out pretty good. With a Kolsch being close to a Pils, will I still need to look at mineral additions to the water? Like CaCo3 or others? I have been doing a little reading, and a lot of people claim that a few additions like that will greatly increase the "goodness" of the beer.

Keep your eye out on craigslist. There are always deals on chest freezers. Got a 16 cubic foot chest freezer for $60 on there. Check it daily!!!!

Only problem with lagers it takes forever!!!! Make sure you have a supply to keep you happy first!!!! Just completed my first Pilsner had it ready for a party. Wow did it ever go over good!!!! Best of luck!!!

If I am going to lager some for real, what temp does it need to get down to? If I picked up a freezer chest, would that stay warm enough?

A freezer is designed to keep the temp at about 0F. You won't be able to adjust the freezer control to keep it at the right temperature. You can get a temperature controller that cuts power to the freezer when it gets down to a preset temperature, and they work well.

-a.

If I am going to lager some for real, what temp does it need to get down to? If I picked up a freezer chest, would that stay warm enough?

You would need a temperature controller. Johnson Controls and Ranco are the two brands I see the most about on here. A site search for ranco will give you more details.

I do also like the Kolsch style. I may try that first. I am working on getting some more equipment so that I can lager at lower temps if I need to. So I guess that it can wait until then. No worries. Is there anything specific about making a Kolsch that I should look at? I have never made one before. Pretty much everything that I have made in the past has been ales, and a couple reds, and a really, really, dark stout. All but one turned out pretty good. With a Kolsch being close to a Pils, will I still need to look at mineral additions to the water? Like CaCo3 or others? I have been doing a little reading, and a lot of people claim that a few additions like that will greatly increase the "goodness" of the beer.

If you want to make that Kolsch "Pilsner-like"; After the three weeks at 70f for carbonation, get the bottles into the fridge for a couple of more weeks. The resemblance to a Pils will be uncanny.

Just an add on question- you can lager in a fridge right, I am planning on a Pils lagering in the fridge, which will hold temp perfect

Just an add on question- you can lager in a fridge right, I am planning on a Pils lagering in the fridge, which will hold temp perfect

Can your fridge get cool enough? Sure it can frement a lager (55 ish). To lager, you need to get it at least down to 40, preferably cooler for a few weeks.

Back