Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's about 4 days and Maggie seems to be adjusting just fine. Her and Abbey (the established resident dog) are almost inseparable when the are not in their crates and the cats have gotten over the new addition. As she gets more comfortable I see more and more lab "personality traits" and I'm wondering how much bigger she'll end up getting.

Cheers

image-1222605043.jpg

image-3180129237.jpg

Ozzy is really settling in as its been about 10 days since we adopted him. He's turning into a true Velcro dog as I take him most everywhere with me he's now used to car rides like a champ and gets 6-8 short walks a day. We're working on basic commands and he will sit 85% of the time,come 70% of the time and lay down about half the time. We're also progressing well on the potty training, he usually has no more than 1-2 accidents in the house so I'm confident hell be 99% there in the next week or two.

image-3386113351.jpg

I cut my dogs nails, and I hit the quick!!! OMG their is blood everywhere. I mostly use the dremel tool, but I let them get too long and I guess the quick grew too. I feel so bad. This wouldn't have happened if she would let me use the dremel tool on her nails. She can be such a *****.

Yep, that's EXACTLY what happened. When they get really long, you have to take them down a bit at a time. When I get neglectful of KB's nails, I'll shorten them up a bit ever 5-7 days until they are down to a respectable length again. Each time you trim them, the quick will draw back a little bit. Probably would have been better to dremel them.

Yep, that's EXACTLY what happened. When they get really long, you have to take them down a bit at a time. When I get neglectful of KB's nails, I'll shorten them up a bit ever 5-7 days until they are down to a respectable length again. Each time you trim them, the quick will draw back a little bit. Probably would have been better to dremel them.
Or start going for long walks on concrete sidewalks - they'll naturally 'file' down the nails.

One of the reasons I've never had to trim Sage's -- his outdoor kennel is concrete, and we (used to, and are about to start again) go for a walk every night.

You know if you get a puppy from a friend, it's going to be like $600 for shots and to get it fixed. The shelters asking 350 is a deal.

We got our pup from the shelter, adoption, shots, registration, AND castration for $40. I jokingly tell people for that price, they should just turn their dogs into the shelter as strays and then readopt them when its time for a neutering.

The rescue we got KB from charges $125 for dogs over 6 months old.

The shelter down the road from us adopts all dogs out for $135 and including the spay/neuter, shots, etc they include a voucher so your first vet visit (any vet in the area) is free.

ChshreCat said:
The rescue we got KB from charges $125 for dogs over 6 months old.

The shelter down the road from us adopts all dogs out for $135 and including the spay/neuter, shots, etc they include a voucher so your first vet visit (any vet in the area) is free.

Yeah we scored. Maggie (the new one) was only $40. Because of over crowding the Nevada Humane Society was reducing all adoption fees the weekend we adopted her. Our other dogs adoption was $250, still not bad considering she was fixed, chipped and current on all shot and mess as a puppy. A vet bill covering all of that would be considerably more.

Yeah we scored. Maggie (the new one) was only $40. Because of over crowding the Nevada Humane Society was reducing all adoption fees the weekend we adopted her. Our other dogs adoption was $250, still not bad considering she was fixed, chipped and current on all shot and mess as a puppy. A vet bill covering all of that would be considerably more.

Yep. Rescues are a deal when you think about what a "free" dog will end up costing.

Yep. Rescues are a deal when you think about what a "free" dog will end up costing.
And, as a coworker of mine (who used to be a highly-sought, high-dollar Brittany Spaniel breeder) put it.... if the initial cost of getting a dog has you concerned, you have no business getting a dog.

(Never really understood what he meant, until in the first year of having my dog, I spent almost $3k on food, vet bills, and his kennel)

And, as a coworker of mine (who used to be a highly-sought, high-dollar Brittany Spaniel breeder) put it.... if the initial cost of getting a dog has you concerned, you have no business getting a dog.

(Never really understood what he meant, until in the first year of having my dog, I spent almost $3k on food, vet bills, and his kennel)

Yes, that is exactly it! I bought a pure bread and it's cost about 3K in the first year, not including the initial cost of the dog. I would love to have a house full of dogs, but the cost would break me. I'm having this ***** fixed.

dkwolf said:

Even my shelter dog isn't cheap when you start adding up everything. Between the adoption costs, all the supplies food and toys and a couple of vet visits and tests I'm into him over $700 in the first month alone.

Marlo, my latest rescue. Lived for the better part of a year with a prong collar. His owner surrendered him to me after some "encouragement" on my part. he is healing well, and is a different pup now that he is not tormented by the prong collar. He is available for adoption, BTW

Marlo.jpg

Marlo neck.jpg

You know if you get a puppy from a friend, it's going to be like $600 for shots and to get it fixed. The shelters asking 350 is a deal.

I don't know where you guys are coming up with high dollars in initial costs. If getting a puppy from a friend or breeder, the pup most likely will have all necessary shots. Then there are the follow up shots depending on the age of the dog. And once the dog is old enough,,,,she gets spade(fixed)....

I don't know where you guys are coming up with high dollars in initial costs. If getting a puppy from a friend or breeder, the pup most likely will have all necessary shots. Then there are the follow up shots depending on the age of the dog. And once the dog is old enough,,,,she gets spade(fixed)....[/QUOTE
That's just troling

I don't know where you guys are coming up with high dollars in initial costs. If getting a puppy from a friend or breeder, the pup most likely will have all necessary shots. Then there are the follow up shots depending on the age of the dog. And once the dog is old enough,,,,she gets spade(fixed)....
Initial cost of dog = $350
$35 food/month * 12 months = $420
$20 treats/month * 12 months = $240
Chain link kennel, used = $150
Concrete kennel floor (poured by myself) = $350
Dog house = $100
Travel crate = $75
Collars/leashes during first year = $50
Heated water bowl for winter = $100

$1835, and that doesn't include any vet visits or other misc. expenses (dog toys, training materials, etc.)

Marlo, my latest rescue. Lived for the better part of a year with a prong collar. His owner surrendered him to me after some "encouragement" on my part. he is healing well, and is a different pup now that he is not tormented by the prong collar. He is available for adoption, BTW

Images like that break my heart. I can't barely stand watching Animal Cops on TV. I just don't get people. :( Thanks for saving this guy.

Initial cost of dog = $350/$100
$35 food/month * 12 months = $420/[COLOR=[COLOR="darkred"]food for month is not part of intinial cost[/COLOR]
$20 treats/month * 12 months = $240/not part of initial cost
Chain link kennel, used = $150/fenced in yard,no cost
Concrete kennel floor (poured by myself) = $350/concrete kennel floor.try and sleep on that yourself
Dog house = $100/my dogs sleep in the house
Travel crate = $75/why?
Collars/leashes during first year = $50/30 bucks
Heated water bowl for winter = $100/your poor dog has to sleep outside in the winter? why have a dog?

$1835, and that doesn't include any vet visits or other misc. expenses (dog toys, training materials, etc.)
you own a dog, not a pet

I think this is a topic for another thread. I know you can have a dog much cheaper than what I'm paying. I sometimes see homeless people with dogs. I know some people have dogs as pets and don't ever train them (let them poo all over the house). Others train just basics and even that small amount of training takes time, and time is money (so they are investing in their dog). What I'm saying is, I want the best for my dog. I want the best food, the best training, and a dam good vet. She is family and I'll be with her through thick and thin. I'm paying $250 a year for insurance for her, because if she gets hurt, I can just say fix her I don't care what it costs. I think that is what this thread is about; people who love their dogs. On that note I'm about to buy her a blaze orange dog vest because I'm taking on a hunting/camping trip. I called the hunting lodge and set up a separate hunt for her because it's her first time. I'm buying birds and a guide who has done this before with puppies so she learns this as easy as possible (don't even think thats cheap).

you own a dog, not a pet

Initial cost of dog = $350/$100
$35 food/month * 12 months = $420/food for month is not part of intinial cost

You missed my point. As I stated earlier, if you're concerned about the initial cost, you shouldn't get a dog - you're going to spend many times that in the first year alone. If $100 (or $300, or $1,000) is too much...get a fish.

$20 treats/month * 12 months = $240/not part of initial cost

See above.

Chain link kennel, used = $150/fenced in yard,no cost

Not fenced in yard, bordering a major road in town. Need some form of "containment" when I'm not home, and I refuse to leave a dog on a tie out.

Concrete kennel floor (poured by myself) = $350/concrete kennel floor.try and sleep on that yourself

The concrete doesn't bother Sage in the least. And he certainly didn't appreciate the dirt floor it was when I first put the kennel in. When it'd rain for 2-3 days and it'd turn to mud... THAT's why he's got a concrete run. And actually, 90% of the time, he sleeps on TOP of his doghouse. Besides, there's loose straw in his doghouse for a soft spot to lay. I've never seen him use it if it's above -25°F.

Dog house = $100/my dogs sleep in the house

Sage is a working dog, and prefers to be outside. Plus, I'm gone for 10+ hours a day to work. I don't feel it's fair to leave a dog cooped up in a house all day. He loves sitting out in his kennel watching cars go by all day. He's got a 5 gallon water dish, and a 40 gallon stock tank to play in.

Travel crate = $75/why?

Ever had a 70 lb lab go into a full-on gran maul seizure on the back seat of your truck? NOT a pleasant experience, especially once he comes out of the gran maul episode and transitions directly into a peti maul seizure. An unconfined dog in the cab of a vehicle is a BAD thing at that point.

Collars/leashes during first year = $50/30 bucks

Good for you. Sage outgrew one collar, and chewed through two leashes his first year.

Heated water bowl for winter = $100/your poor dog has to sleep outside in the winter? why have a dog?

Because, again, he's a hunting dog. Dogs don't adjust to temperature changes as fast as we do; going from a warm house to a cold outdoors is hard on them. He's got a heated water bowl, his doghouse gets stuffed with straw (plus a heated mat under that). The ONLY time I've ever seen him even slightly uncomfortable with the cold is when it drops to -30°F -- THEN he'll bed down into the straw and push some up to cover the door. He's got a place in my garage he sleeps at night (loose straw he can bed down in) He's a lab. They were BRED for cold temperatures. And I spend 80-90% of my waking hours outside with him anyway - pretty much only come inside to eat or sleep.

I think it's funny how some people have this impression that an animal that has lived outside for thousands of years, all of a sudden has to be kept inside because we domesticated it. Granted, I don't like people that put a dog outside and leave it there - but my dog is outside because that's where *I* am the vast majority of the time.

My dog sleeps on a bed inside the house with the rest of his family.

It's funny how some people buy a hunting dog and it's nothing more than a tool like their gun or their truck is. Stick it in a cage, take it out and use it and then lock it up when you're done. It's just an animal, after all.

My dog sleeps on a bed inside the house with the rest of his family.

It's funny how some people buy a hunting dog and it's nothing more than a tool like their gun or their truck is. Stick it in a cage, take it out and use it and then lock it up when you're done. It's just an animal, after all.
Yeah, you're probably right. After all, I get home from work and spend nearly every waking minute from then until the time I go to bed with my dog. But because he doesn't sleep inside the house, I don't really care about him :rolleyes:

As compared to a coworker, who has two brittany spaniels in his house...who spend literally all day sitting on the back of his couch staring out the picture window.....wishing they were outside.

I had a pt the other day tell me her dogs have an Amish built dog house. She's clearly better than me

Please...... My dog lives in an authentic victorian era doghouse brought over from London at the turn of the century and only drinks perrier with exactly 3 ice cubes out of a tiffany dog bowl while lying on her cashmere blanket. Her food is made from authentic kobe beef trim

My dog eats cat poop and is a certified vacum cleaner. I clearly win this dog owner penis measuring section.

Hahaha, my old roommates dog (American bull) ate a sock whole, poo'd it out, found it again in the yard, and ate it again. By the time it was done that was a twice poo'd sock.

when I got home today I checked the answering machine and there was a message from my vet, I knew what is was about so I still called them back......Bailey is back, we had her put to sleep August 29th and had her cremated. Haven't told my wife yet, but tomorrow we will go get her and bring her home. I can't believe how much I have cried..dogs are awesome, give your pooch a big hug for Bailey.

1098187_10200782803873521_729125388_n.jpg

Back