stuck ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extexan

Reaction score
I have a batch of barleywine that I am having trouble getting it to ferment a little lower. The OG was 1.100. I used mostly wheat dme, some barley malt. 24 oz of piloncillo (unrefined sugar cane sugar), 20 oz of maple syrup and some assorted grains. I made a 2 qt starter using 3 C of wheat malt. The yeast was Wyeast Strong Ale (1388). The primary ferment went well. I know the strong ale only ferments down to around 12% abv. I racked to to the secondary where I added my spices, and racked again this time adding a package of dry wine yeast to hopefully kick up the ferment again. It did for a day or so, and the SG is now at 1.038, and has since ceased to ferment. I have it in my head that I need to get it down at least another 8-10 points before bottling. Should I
a. let it sit and see if the gravity drops without doing anything, and then bottle to champagne yeast?
b. add champagne yeast now to get the gravity to drop a little more, then (depending on how far the gravity does drop) then bottle to more champagne yeast?
c. bottle now as is and wait
I am open for suggestions. This is a Christmas Strong Ale, so I am really not planning to use any until December.
thanks

Back