changing bottle size - carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
I've been doing well with normal 12oz bottles and carbonating. However - with a TRUCKLOAD (seriously) of 24 oz bottles I'm wondering about the use of LESS carbing corn sugar??

Is there any % I should look at.

A friend told me he had 24oz bottles and if I wanted them - I said yes thinking 6 or 8 or whatever - he brought over 120.

He said is that enough and I said bring me all you have. He laughed and said "A palette holds 3000 and I have seven palette's that are going to the crusher".

ummmmmmm

When I bottle, I use a range from 10oz bottles, 12oz bottles, 22oz bottles and 750ml ones -- all in the same batch. There's no noticeable difference in carbonation level, as far as i can tell.

I do the same thing as the governor. Do you add priming sugar to the bottles directly or to the bottling bucket?

Anyway, 24 ounces seems an unusual size. US bombers are 22 ounces; Euros like 25 oz. (750 ml).

I prime them at the same rate. The only difference I've noticed is that they sometimes take an extra week or so to fully carbonate (but not always).

To echo what's already been said, I prime the whole batch in the bottling bucket and fill a range of bottle sizes from 12 oz to 24 oz. I haven't had any problems with over/under carbonation due to differences in bottle size.

FYI: the Sierra Nevada "Harvest" beers come in a 24 oz bottle.

Back