Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shiner's Ruby Red is also the worst I've had.

Aww, really? I liked Shiner's Ruby this year, I thought the grapefruit was a nice touch for a spring brew, little bit heavy on the ginger but it didn't bother me. But to each their own!

I would like to add a new beer to my dislike list: Billy's Chillies Beer.

High Five for thinking outside the box, but whoa did that miss the mark. I didn't finish the one I had and would not pay for it, ever.

I didn't get any grapefruit. maybe just a touch. i was expecting much more, but the Ginger really drowned that out. tone down the Ginger and I would have liked it, but I almost wouldn't call it beer. just because the flavor was way different. still interesting though.

Worst Commercial Beer You Have Ever Had?

Worst commercial beer I've ever had:

By far "Buffalo Sweat Stout" (on tap) by Tallgrass Brewing Company and I'm a stout drinker.

My friend and I sent ours back after drinking 1/2 a pint and quickly ordered a fresh pint of Guinness. :mug:

So what says you.......whats your vote for worst commercial beer you've tasted???????
That would be These!

Beer.jpg

generic-beer1.JPG

Ok ok all joking aside here they are:

Commercial- ANY BMC Beer
Macro- Any thing by Redhook.

I tried all of red hooks beers while i lived in Seattle, and i never finished a bottle of ANY of them, i gave them away to the people down stairs that would drink anything. Sorry if this Offends any Redhook fans, but i found their beers to be no better than BMC.

I KNEW IT! My dad used to drink redhook, and every time i treid some then it was great, totally delicious. A few weeks ago a roomate got an assortment pack of em, an it just wasnt the same at all, not totally awful, but definetly definetly lacking something it used to have.
That really sucks, should'v known just from the knew bottles an caps an crap marketing they've been spewing out. not to mention that i can now find it all the way here in louisiana.

Wow, just read every one of these. Lots of entertaining moments!

For me, it might be SA's Cranberry Lambic. Not only is it a blatant misnomer, it also tasted more like green olive than cranberry.

Unsurprisingly, the many Chinese brews I had on my voyage there were anything but remarkable. I remember the feeling of excitement I got when I tried one with any discernible bitterness (as in, AT ALL).

While I lived in Munich, the gas station next to my apartment sold a mixed fruit-light lager with Cherry flavoring that was horrid. I think it was made by Carlsberg, but I couldn't find a clear brand label. Even the marking on the can was illegible. I think it was called "Mix". I never worked up the courage to try the cola flavored one.

BarberSurgeon said:
Wow, just read every one of these. Lots of entertaining moments!

For me, it might be SA's Cranberry Lambic. Not only is it a blatant misnomer, it also tasted more like green olive than cranberry.

Unsurprisingly, the many Chinese brews I had on my voyage there were anything but remarkable. I remember the feeling of excitement I got when I tried one with any discernible bitterness (as in, AT ALL).

While I lived in Munich, the gas station next to my apartment sold a mixed fruit-light lager with Cherry flavoring that was horrid. I think it was made by Carlsberg, but I couldn't find a clear brand label. Even the marking on the can was illegible. I think it was called "Mix". I never worked up the courage to try the cola flavored one.

The cola one was probably actually lager mixed with cola, it's quite popular.

Thank you, I couldn't remember the name of it. Awful.

As much as I like Sam C. and a few of his beers, the majority of DFH tastes like some goofy homebrew experiment that should have been dumped to me.

Really? I know a lot of them are odd but I haven't had one I haven't liked.

Also, I don't know how his Sahti could be so bad. I made a batch with local juniper and it was amazing, one of the best beers I've made.

I have to agree that other than the 60 and 90 CHIPA s , DF beers are not good, especially raison d'etre (dumped 6).

The cola one was probably actually lager mixed with cola, it's quite popular.

Oh I'm well-aware of the German's propensity to blend their lagers. I enjoyed many a radler (lager and German-style lemonade) myself while I was there. This was something... other...

EDIT: I found it!

mixery-beer-cherry2.jpg

Apparently it also has an energy drink component. Mixery... more like "misery".

Coastal fog holiday ale - horrible horrible horrible stuff. We were intoxicted and decided it would be a good idea to get a "mystery pack" from Bevmo.. turned out 8 of 24 was this crap. We pawned it off to unsuspecting victims just to watch their face. Ugh... its that bad.

Leinenkugels sunset wheat - it you like fruity pebble beer than this is for you.

Pigs Ear Brown ale by Woodstock brewing in NH

This stuff has a disgusting buttery flavor. One of the few brews I cannot finish. I call it Pigs #@& Brown ale.

I would say BMC, but if we're talking from someone actually trying to make beer, I would say Sierra Nevada's Fritz & Ken's Ale from the 30th anniversary series. It was like drinking out of an ash tray. I think I had it right when it was released, so it may be much better after a 1 1/2 years of aging.

That was a ploy for them to gain access to distribution but they claimed to have maintained 100% creative rights on what they produce.

That being said they are easy go to beers and I like their bottles (they fit on the bottom shelf of my fridge. Not the best beer, but OK.
---
I attempted a Budweiser during the 4th. I really tried my best, but the last 8oz got 'spilled' in the bushes at the BBQ I was at.

Otherwise, Stella is beyond horrible.

I normally love the stuff that brew dog puts out (Riptide and their hardcore ipa are both amazing) but stay far far away from Storm. Its an IPA aged in an isley cask, and it just tastes like burnt wood and salt. The hops have all their flavor stripped away due to the aging and only the bitterness is left. The only beer I have ever dumped.

I have a new worst...................Kennebunkport Blueberry Wheat Ale

Smells fruity just not blueberry. Tastes horrible. I gave it a second try a few days later...........even worse. Could not get past the second sip. Dumped both glasses. Best description: Think of a bowl of fruity pebbles with Coors light instead of milk.

Had seen this thread pop up now and then but always thought "I must be lucky; I've had commercial beers I didn't think were great, but nothing I really consider 'bad'."

That all changed last night. Had a Thwaite's Very Nutty Black. Just terrible IMO. I don't know anything about the beer but it seemed like they took a very light ale recipe then dumped in a huge amount of a very dark roasted grain. The beer is extremely astringent. I get no malt, no hops, no body...just astringency.

Edit: read some reviews online after posting here and nobody else hates it as much as me. Starting to wonder whether the bottle I had was infected?

Grolsch. I was 16 too and poured it out. What 16 year old ours out free beer!? It was bad. Haven't tried it since.

Ichibod's Pumpkin Ale....by far the WORST beer ever tasted......even tried one bottle 4 months later and it was still ****. I mean BAD !!!

A friend gave me a bottle of Double Take Brewing Co. IPA.....awful....just plain awful. No hop flavor, aroma, or anything. The bitterness is super harsh and almost painful. I think it is like 5 bucks for a sixer so that explains it.

2011-07-30205334.jpg

Go ahead and put this one up there haha.. Found this gem at Walgreens, 2.99 a sixer. I made a deal with a buddy that if we find any sixer for under 3 bucks during this summer, we have to buy it. I wonder if they will buy the 5 pack back?

Big Flats Premium Light. Thumbs down.

Jsmith82 said:
Big Flats Premium Light. Thumbs down.

Oh yeah, that good 'ole Big Flats Walgreen's is pushing on the world....sad, sad, sad...it was funny, today my father said he had picked up the sixer of Big Flats and enjoyed 'em. Send me your 5 pack, J - I'll pass 'em on to the old man.

A friend gave me a bottle of Double Take Brewing Co. IPA.....awful....just plain awful. No hop flavor, aroma, or anything. The bitterness is super harsh and almost painful. I think it is like 5 bucks for a sixer so that explains it.

I've got a few of those sitting in my fridge. I bought them for a few weeks ago (had never heard of it before, so I decided to try a six-pack.)

I wouldn't call it the worst beer I've ever had, but the bottles are still undrinken for a reason.

Sam Adams Rustic Saisen.

I read through a lot of these and don't get the Sam Adams hate. The Sam Adams Light for example...had no flavor but hardly the worst. The Summer Ale was something that wasn't really that bad...Starting to think people just have it out for Sam Adams with offerings like that compared to various other possble worsts. But this Rustic S!@# is hard to drink. It tastes like Satan ate a bunch of jasmine and then pissed it out...then drank that and pissed it out again.

Cosper123 said:
Sam Adams Rustic Saisen.

I read through a lot of these and don't get the Sam Adams hate. The Sam Adams Light for example...had no flavor but hardly the worst. The Summer Ale was something that wasn't really that bad...Starting to think people just have it out for Sam Adams with offerings like that compared to various other possble worsts. But this Rustic S!@# is hard to drink. It tastes like Satan ate a bunch of jasmine and then pissed it out...then drank that and pissed it out again.

I enjoyed it! :)

Steel Reserve or Milwaukee's Best ICE

I second that on the Steel Reserve. Drank it once (it was $1 for a 20oz can or something like that) and it gave me terrible heartburn for 2 days afterward. Never had that happen with any other beer. Stuff is awful.

Dominus Vobiscum Blanche

It's a wit I tried yesterday... first drainpour in ages. And yet it's 91st %ile on ratebeer, and 98th for style. Those people must be frigging sheep, as this beer was objectively awful, NOT a bad batch - the problem was due entirely to a disgusting overuse of coriander. I actually like coriander in many beers, but the intensity was beyond identifiable (which is bad enough), and to the point where I might as well have just chewed on a fistful of the stuff. Gross.

Agreed. I love NB beers, but the Mothership Wit is horrible. Tastes like sucking on a clove. I thought the pack I got was broke, but apparently it's supposed to taste like that? Ugh.

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

NB Mothership Wit is one of the only commercial beers that I've ever had to dump!

A local brewery had just opened up last fall, and I was given a sixer of their oaked oktoberfest. To date this is the only beer that I have been truly unable to drink, and I tried fully five times over several months thinking it might mellow. I understand the oak thing but this was like sucking on splinters. Malt and hops were undetectable behind that astringent mess. I can't fathom how the brewmaster achieved that, nevermind decided to put it on the shelves.

Back