High final gravity question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed_

Reaction score
I put a batch of Fuller's London Porter on back on 1/5/09 and ended with an OG of around 1.051. Today I racked it to a secondary to make room for an IPA I'm trying tonight but when I took a gravity reading it had only dropped to 1.02.

I used Nottingham dry yeast which their website says has a high attenuation rate reaching a final gravity of around 1.008 (which would put it around the 5.4% abv the beer is supposed to be). So my question is is there anything I can do to get that final gravity down to where it needs to be or am I pretty much stuck?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Oh and I used the following recipe appx 2gal wort 5 gal batch

Malts/Grains

7.7lbs light LME
14oz Muntons crystal 60
7oz Munton Chocolate
7oz Muntons Black Patent
4oz Munton Roasted Barley

Hops

Target - 8.5 AAU
Kent Goldings .25oz
Kent Goldings .5oz

Give it a little swirl - you might need to get the yeast back into suspension for them to start up again.

Give it a little swirl - you might need to get the yeast back into suspension for them to start up again.

Since I've already moved it off the yeast cake when I moved it to secondary should I add a small amount of additional Nottingham since I do have an extra packet or will the suspended yeast that transferred be enough after getting a bit more O2 during the transfer and swirling?

Back