I Relaxed and Enjoyed too many Homebrews....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdf191

Reaction score
I was just sitting here reminiscing about all my good homebrewing moments and it got me thinking...Between the exuberant basking in the success of my masterpieces, there have also been some bumps on the road to brewing glory. As I look back its is clear that most of these brewing "falters" were due mostly impart to relaxing with one too many homebrews. Now non of my mishaps were much past the minor rating, and I was never that inebriated, yet they were stupid, and probably quite entertaining to any bystander watching a jolly drunken beer brewer clumsily bumbling merrily through his tasks. So even though my mistakes were small, I am sure some stories exist out there of much greater splendor. and much greater quantities of beer. So please if you are the owner of one of these stories, be proud, and share, you are not alone.

Had a few homebrews while I was starting the boil. after I added in my 60 and 30 min addition I sat down for the 20minutes before I had to add my irish moss.

Well after 3 beers, and now a very warm, sweet and hoppy smelling house, I fell asleep. I awoke 35 minutes late. Well even with extra long boil, I added some more water tossed in the aroma hops and hoped.

I turned out ok, just more bitter then I wanted.

The last batch that I brewed, I decided to drink beer while I was doing it.

I did not realize that I could drink so many beers in the 2 to 3 hours it takes. Needless to say, I was a bit worried when I had to move the carboy. I was not taking the care I would normally use.

Forgot the yeast once. Most of my "incidents" occurred later in the day and involved the BBQ.

well, two weeks ago sunday, i had a few beers with the neighbors, got back home, got the kids in bed, popped a homebrew, and decided that I should bottle a batch. Got it transfered, primed and set the bucket on the table. Got through 15 bottles, and noticed the bucket starting to shift. I didn't catch it in time and the bucket slipped off the table, onto the hardwood floor, then flooded the carpet in the next room.

Just got the new carpet this weekend... I figure each bottle is now worth about 35 bucks or so... care to purchase any? ;)

Last weekend I was bringing a quart of wort to a boil to make a starter and forgot entirely about it. The first inkling I has that something was wrong was when my smoke alarm went off. There was so much smoke in the kitchen it looked like those scenes in fire documentaries just before flashover.

I took the pot outside and sprayed it with a hose and the entire contents came out as a solid plug that was intact. The pot was nearly clean except for some carbon on the sides.

The house still smelled like carbon the next day when I got home from work.

I decided to do my first AG tee-total so I wouldn't screw up. Well, I worried soooo damn much about my temps that I confused myself over what the mash temp was supposed to be, I was confusing it with the strike temp. If I had been hammered I would have KNOWN to double check a pre-written idiot proof list! I screwed up because I was too sober!? :(

My next brew I'm gonna be totally frigging hammered! :D (j/k)

Minor mishap but i attribute it to having too much.
I was making 2 different traditional meads. 1 was intended to be a very high OG sweet mead using D-47 (14% ABV tolerance) the other should have been a dry mead at about 12% ABV using K1V (18% ABV tolerance).
While mixing up the meads I brokeout a bottle of a previous mead I had made. While i was rehydrating the yeast I had some time to kill so I started surfing HBT. Then when it was time to pitch the yeast I proceeded to pitch the k1V in the high OG must. The gravity of this must was sufficient to take the k1V to tolerance at 18%, and it meant I no longer had a sweet mead.

My quick solution was to dilute the high gravity must from 2gal to 3gal, and add all the honey i could find to the other must so i could get a dry mead at 14% using k1V and a sweet mead using D-47. It won't be as sweet as planned but that is probably a good thing as the original plan was a little overboard.

I don't usually drink while brewing as i usually brew starting at 6am so not many stories from my brew sessions.

Craig

Just last weekend i was doing a recipe that called for 6 lbs of DME at flame-out. I had a few too many of my homebrews but was doing pretty good..... i thought. Till i turned off the stove and started cooling my wort. I had the temp down to just under 100 and saw the bag of DME and panicked and dumped it all in at once. It quickly turned into a 6 lb clump. i scooped it out and put it in a small pot and dissolved it on the stove and then added it. It's fermenting right now.....i'm really curios to see how this one turns out.

My flight got cancelled once so I decided to brew. After a few homebrews I realized I was alone and finished the brew naked. Fortunately no injuries resulted from those actions.

Back