Goat Scrotum Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnout

Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon batch of "Goat Scrotum Ale" (porter) found in the book "The Complete Joy Of home Brewing" 3rd edition pg 200 by Charlie Papazian. I modified (customized by adding a few ingredients). This is my 6th batch of beer I have brewed (I have 4 years of winemaking experience).

7lbs PDME (origional called for 5lbs plain dark malt extract)
1lb 80L crystal Malt
1/4 lb black patent malt
1/4 lb roasted barley
1 1/2 ounce boiling hops (I Used fuggels)
1/4 oz finnishing hops (fuggels again)
1 cup Brown sugar ( I dumped 1-2 cups in from bag)
1 cup blackstrap molasses ( I again probably poured 2 cups)
2 tsp gypsum
1lb corn sugar
3/4 cup corn sugar for primer or 1/14 dried malt extract (if I bottle ill use dme)

The rest of the ingredients!
2-4 oz fresh grated ginger (I used 4 0z of course)
1-2 in brewing licorice or bruised root (I used 1 cup dried bruised licorice root)
2 tbsp spruce essence
1-10 small dried chillie peppers (10 of course)
1/4 cup juniper berries slightly crushed
6 oz unsweetened bakers chocolate or baking cocoa powder (10 pkg of .55 ounce swiss miss instant cocoa)

And I added the following
1 handful of heather tips
4 cups approx honey
1/2 ounce of wormwood (the absenth high is a myth, this stuff is real bitter and I probably should have used 1/4 ounce)( The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association.)
The book says to chill, serve, and slip back into the 18th century so I had the idea to add some old century flavoring to the mix, thats where I figgured I would add these last 3 ingrdients. (3 is a mystical number as well)

Steep grains in 2 gal of 150-160 deg water for 30 min (I used 1 1/2 Gallons then strainer sparged grains with another 1/2 gallon of 170 degree water after 30 min). I then added 7lbs pdme boiled and added all the other ingredients at start of boil minus finnishing hops and primer. The smells were magical and the flavor changed as I tasted the boil throught the hour. After 60 minuted i turned off the heat added the finnishing hops, filled my sanitized fermenter with 2 gallons of chilled distilled water, and strained the mix into the fermenter capping with more chilled water. Shook, did a temp check at 75 degrees right at the first check. I pitched an old cold packet of coopers dried yeast (after sanitizing the pack) and attached a blow over hose.

2 days later I have airlocked a very vigorous fermintation and kick myself for forgetting to do a specefic gravity check of my wort- must have been the 3 hombrewed IPA's I drank while nevously making my witches Brew.

any suggestions or feedback would be cool, or recomendations as im still a newcomer to homebrewing. Ill post how this mix turns out. :cool:

Latest posts

Back