OMG - My wife likes my beer!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcrabb22

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My wife is not a regular beer drinker but was intrigued by the dark color of my porter I just tapped. She tried it and LIKED it. She even wanted to know how to pour her own glass correctly from the tap. I think I turned a corner here for both my brewing process and forming a brewing partnership.

I gave her my copy of Ray Daniels book, Designing Great Beers and told her to read the beer styles section to help determine a future batch she would like to try. I am hoping she'll choose a lager to leverage purchase of controlled temperature fermentation equipment. :D

I would also like to see her get involved in the process.

Congrats, for sure! Luckily, my GF enjoys beer--heck, she had worse things to say about the sixer of Bud American Ale I bought last week than I did--and is really excited about my homebrew. I'm definitely looking forward to using that to drive equipment purchases. ;)

I donated my keg of vanilla porter for a charity event last night... i also took a keg of pale ale... I wasn't planning on taking the porter with me, and I didn't tell SWMBO I was taking it.... She cried. Literally. She was so, so sad that I took her porter away. She had only got 2 L of it before I carried it away.

So now I've commissioned her to select what we brew next. It currently looks like it might be a Chocolate-Vanilla Hobgoblin.

My SWMBO always takes a sip, says "ooh, yum!", but the only thing she's ever drank even half a bottle of is apfelwein. Sure, I'd love it if she actually drank my brew, but you've got to respect her for being supportive.

my wife loves beers just as much as me, but we do like different types. I stick with IPA's, Ambers, pretty much anything dark except stouts and porters.

She like wheat beers, other lighter beers.

Needless to say my first batch is a hefeweizen!

Congrats.

I mentioned it to my gf and she was a little interested but hesitant because I have a lot of hobbies that never got off their feet very far.

Once I did it and the results were good, and I made my 6-7th batch she realized its' one of the better hobbies.

I lucked out, my gf loves beer. She's into the same styles I am, doesn't like the sweet too much and loves the hops.......oh, I'm in love.

I stick with IPA's, Ambers, pretty much anything dark except stouts and porters.

:confused: *scratches head*....

My SWMBO loves all my beers and drinks as many of them as I do. I recommend getting a kegging setup, mine has helped SWMBO realize how I much I NEED to brew. She now is to the point of reminding me to brew and about my monthly brew budget instead of griping when I first tried to establish one :)

congrats my wife and I always brew together and it is fun activity, we both love the smell of boiling wort, and really enjoy the fruits of our labors. Nothing better than sharing this hobby with the one you love, it is truly great.

At first our friends didn't like our brews and we were a little disappointed. As we have improved everyone is liking our beers and now we are disappointed, because it disappears to fast, 5 gallons it seems isn't enough.

Note to self, make beers no one else likes....

My wife hates beer. She has agreed to try a sip of everything I make but to no avail she always says she can't stand the beer aftertaste. So..... to include her more we made a batch of cider using wyeast Weihenstephan Weizen yeast. Wouldn't you know it this batch got infected with acetobacter. It smells and tastes like vinegar, but I'm still going to bottle it tonight. Teaches her for not liking beer!

My wife loved my hefe and irish red..........

Then she got prego and now hates me for brewing because she can't drink any of it. So out of courtesy I brew stuff she wouldn't like. Stouts, IPA, Nut Brow, etc

Congratulations. it's taken 7 years to get my swmbo to even take a second sip of anything. I've made.

It took you SEVEN years to brew a decent batch of Beer???? God that's a patient woman.

DUDE, Long story short... Brewed in college back after the old peanut farmer made it legal, and haven't done it since. one night watching Alton Brown the little misses says "Hey, Why can't we do that too?"

I dropped to my knees and said "THANK YOU GOD!!!!!"

She loves the stuff. I can't brew fast enough and she is involved in the process (Extract brewing for now) and picking beers from Northern Brewers catalog and others.

Life is good when the misses buys you toys to make beer with.

This has a parallel in my 90-year-old mother. She had never liked beer until about 5 years ago, always citing that she just didn't like the taste. Then my brother gave her a taste of Guinness one day, and she liked it. Since I took up homebrewing, I bring her stouts, porters, can go so far as brown ales & altbiers....she loves them all. A darker, less hoppy alternative seems to have been the key.

Newbe here and only have three batches under my belt. My first batch was an English Pale Ale and my wife thought it was too hoppy. We had a Porter last two nights and it's really good. In the bucket we have a Brown Ale. I hope it's not too hoppy for her.
Next I am going to try a Bock of some kind.

Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everyting you have. The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." -Thomas Jefferson

This also applies to women. It's from Brewin_the_goods' sig.

My wife always helps me to drink mine. She typically helps me on bottling day as well. Now I've switched to 10 gallon batches because 5 do not stay in the house long enough. I typically like all beers but have my favs like pals, IPAs, stouts. She is more into Irish reds, honey browns, wheats. I am not a huge fan of wheats. I would say the irish red usually goes real fast because we both like them.

Mine will taste everything I make, but in generally doesn't care much for alcohol, and only rarely drinks fruity stuff when the girls are together. She did say that the Blonde was not too bad.

If they made beer that tasted like Mountain Dew, then she'd have it made.

I donated my keg of vanilla porter for a charity event last night... i also took a keg of pale ale... I wasn't planning on taking the porter with me, and I didn't tell SWMBO I was taking it.... She cried. Literally. She was so, so sad that I took her porter away. She had only got 2 L of it before I carried it away.

So now I've commissioned her to select what we brew next. It currently looks like it might be a Chocolate-Vanilla Hobgoblin.

Lucky bastage.

My wife doesn't like anything that much.

My wife is very supportive. She doesn't get into the science of brewing much but loves to help on brew day and bottling. She doesn't like hoppy beers therefore I always keep a brown or amber on tap. She loves smoked beers and bourbon barrel vanilla stout is a new favorite to my surprise! I love this woman! She is mostly a wine drinker but just recently told me she wanted to start drinking beer instead of wine mainly but if she did I wouldhave to make sure never to run out of beer in the pipeline!!!

When I met my wife, she only ate chicken fingers, pizza and mixed drinks or miller lite when we were out. Now she's into calorie laden hop bombs, and expensive sushi.

Careful!

My wife doesn't like the brewing and could really care less about the beer as she absolutely loves her expensive vodka but needless to say when friends are over she has no problem passing out my beer and occasionally she'll let me know she tried something and actually liked it!

My wife knows a good amount about beer because she worked at a beer bar (which prided itself for having hundred beers) during college. So she actually knows that she:
1. Likes fruit beer (lambic included)
2. Likes dark beer like stout and porter
3. 100% does not like wheat beer
4. Doesn't really like any other beers

I have yet to make a beer she likes but I'm only learning; not in too great a hurry. :)

Well my wife says all beer tastes like Budweiser, somewhat kidding (i hope) she really doesn't like beer. My daughter in law hated everything I made at first, now she really likes my Hef and Centennial Blonde. She won't drink a whole glass but at least she sips off of my sons.

I think it's an acquired taste for sure, I really couldn't take much hoppiness and now I am developing a taste for it. My last Red Ale which was FWH'd is very good.

Keep at it guys
Toy4Rick

As an SWMBO myself, I must say, if you have wives who like to cook, they should at least appreciate the art of brewing. I've been brewing for a while now and didn't really appreciate the diversity and complexity (and simplicity of the one-grain quaffing beer) of beer until I started brewing and understanding the science and culinary fun that goes into it (I was a strictly a porter/stout gal myself until I started brewing). I saw a beer in the store the other day called "chick beer" in a pink-purse-covered bottle - held it up to the light and it looked like water. Educate your SWMBOs in the possibilities beyond swill! Never assume they want just "girly" flavored beers, and share with them the process - and remember, not everyone likes beer, and although they should be pitied, they should not be shunned. <steps down from soapbox>

...and my he-who-will-obey just reminded me to thank him for getting me into brewing. :D

Homercidal said:
Mine will taste everything I make, but in generally doesn't care much for alcohol, and only rarely drinks fruity stuff when the girls are together. She did say that the Blonde was not too bad.

If they made beer that tasted like Mountain Dew, then she'd have it made.

Believe me, I told my wife choose any soda and let's see if we can make it a beer. She chose mt. Dew Baja blast lol. So I'm trying to figure that out! Lemon lime, and berry beer?? I don't think it'll work out..

When I met my wife she was vegetarian, quiet, didn't play video games, didn't really drink, never shot a gun, and never been camping!

She now eats meat, pretty rare but cooked more than mine, I like my steaks still moo-ing, she's getting less shy and more loud, loves Xbox, loves brewing with me and loves all beers we've tried, wants a henry lever action repeater (brass instead of the blued steel for the action) and likes camping. All it took was.. 1.75 months of dating and Being married for 2 months to achieve this. :D and supports my decision to join the Army. So pretty much I turned her American ;)

Back