Great Beer to No Flavor Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indybrewer

Reaction score
I kegged my first home brew about a week and a half ago. While transfereing from primary to secondary I tasted my sample and it was a great beer. While transfering from Secondary to Keg it was a great beer. I hooked the keg up to 14 psi for 8 days then backed it down to 7 till last night which would have been day 12. I pulled the first beer off of it last night and it had way to much carbination so I bled the C02 off and got a good poor. The problem is that there is no falvor to it now. Could this be over carbination or what. To much C02 got absorbed by the beer? Also the head that it gets is pretty thick. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

How cold is your keg at? Sometimes if the beer is supercold it will lose some of its great flavor. Try lowering the temperature maybe?? Just a thought.

Not knowing what style this is, we can only speculate. Let a glass warm up to the temperature you kegged at and compare.

I agree with letting it warm up. I had some Leffe the other night that was iffy at fridge temp. Once it warmed to about 55F, it was much better and more complex...

This is a nut brown ale. I am going to adjust my fridge to a warmer temp tonight and see what happens. Also I will fill a glass and set it on the counter for a bit and try it. I hope you all are right on the temp being the problem. I have been looking forward to this beer. Thanks again.

I have found that both of my ales, one bottled and one kegged, improve with taste after they are allowed to warm up for a few minutes after being poured compared to tasting immediately after pouring.

I concur, most likely too cold. Try it like this...pour one and let it sit out until it hits 50 °F. At that moment pour one right from the fridge and do a side-by-side with NO food.

another vote for too cold. my beer is kept at 43F, and I"m not making anything terribly complex (see my signature).

If you served me a BMC, however, it better be damn near frozen.

Ok...I turned the fridge down to 40 and poured one. Let it sit for a bit and it tastes exactly like it's supposed to. Thank you for saving my beer. I owe everyone a beer. Thanks Again!

:mug:

woohoo! glad it was just a temperature issue.

When i was 18 drinking MGD lite, I never believed people really drank Guinness at 'room temperature' (hell I didn't believe anything that dark was drinkable to begin with!)

now I understand, and can appreciate serving beers at temperatures that suit their style.

Ok...I turned the fridge down to 40 and poured one. Let it sit for a bit and it tastes exactly like it's supposed to. Thank you for saving my beer. I owe everyone a beer. Thanks Again!

Glad I am local!

Back